Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Weldment

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi All.

I have created an assembly using weldment.

Now I want to create features for final machining, how do I constrain my features to the modeparts?

I can only constrain them the reference planes.

10 REPLIES

Re: Weldment

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

You probably need to go to the tools tab and turn on "peers".

For some reason I've never understood this setting is always off by default no matter what.

Annoying as hell.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Bshand.

This isn't what I am looking for, but looks useful in the future.

I do not want to change my basic weldment dimensions.

I have created a tube and 2 flanges that are to be welded to it.

What I want to do now is create a machining drawing that wil make the bore bigger and a spigot on each of the flanges.  But when I create a revolve cut and dimesnion it, the dimensions will only constrain to the reference planes.  This means I cannot select any point on my assembly.

So you are saying that "Peers" is turned on in the "edge locate" section of the tools tab?

Are the parts you want to relate to activated in the assembly?

Bruce Shand

Phenom
Phenom

@Dazzie wrote:

Hi Bshand.

This isn't what I am looking for, but looks useful in the future.

I do not want to change my basic weldment dimensions.

I have created a tube and 2 flanges that are to be welded to it.

What I want to do now is create a machining drawing that wil make the bore bigger and a spigot on each of the flanges.  But when I create a revolve cut and dimesnion it, the dimensions will only constrain to the reference planes.  This means I cannot select any point on my assembly.

As Bruce sayd you need to activate "Peer" to be able to constrain to active models.

I do usually switch "Peer" on and off with F2 key, but I dont remember if it is OTB setting or one of mines

Genius
Genius

To clarify Bruce's post, when "in sketch mode" go to tools tab and select "peers" (far right of toolbar). This will allow you to dimension to assembly geometry.

Like Bruce said it is a mystery why there is no option for this to be on by default.

Legend
Legend

"This means I cannot select any point on my assembly."

I think this is what Peers is going to help you with.

Phenom
Phenom

@RLR wrote:

Like Bruce said it is a mystery why there is no option for this to be on by default.

I prefer to have it OFF by default; when it is turned ON everything became much slower and pick points could became a nightmare.

With the F2 key I turn it ON then OFF on the fly just when needed.

@Fiorini wrote:

@RLR wrote:

I prefer to have it OFF by default; when it is turned ON everything became much slower and pick points could became a nightmare.

With the F2 key I turn it ON then OFF on the fly just when needed.

I suppose there's some merit in that although I've never noticed in all my years.

Bruce Shand
Highlighted

PLM World Member Valued Contributor PLM World Member Valued Contributor
PLM World Member Valued Contributor

Hi,

It looks like everybody has said similar things. We tend to do this alot where I work, as we work with a lot of big fabrications that have tight tolerances on weird surfaces that need to be machined afterward.

Initially, create an assembly sketch. On the tools tab of the ribbon, click peer edge locate which will allow you to constrain your assembly features. This will then be on so you can do assembly cutouts using your assembly parts as reference parts. Other option is to use the project to sketch (include) command. When the dialog comes up select the maintain associativity when projecting geometry from other parts of the assembly. I do find this is less reliable than peer edge locate. If none of the options are avaliable, you may need to change your preferences. Open the options dialog, then select inter-part (in the assembly environment) then allow using interpart links.

Capture.PNG

Shane Murray
ST10 MP8