What causes dxf's to be blank?

Stick with me here.....So in order for our guys in the shop to make some cuts to pipe, we make paper templates to wrap around the pipe so they can draw out where the cut will go as well as what shape to cut it. In order to do this, I basically make a sheet metal part using a neutral factor of 1 instead of .33. So, for some reason, it seems every time I do this, when I save out the dxf, when I go to open it the dxf is empty. Many times I have to save the dxf out like 5 times before there's finally anything inside it. What could be causing this?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"
9 REPLIES

Re: What causes dxf's to be blank?

[ Edited ]

Hi there  @nominus38 ,

We've done this very thing for a long time, or at least for those one off's, or what doesn't fit the in the rotary laser bed capacity.

Without an example file to look at, I am guessing there is probably a small collision of material at the seam.....make sure your material is offset to the outside of the profile sketch, and to leave a "micro" gap.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP4] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

This is not the case. It doesn't matter if I set a .001 gap or a 1" gap. Thanks for trying to help, however.

As I said before, after like the 3rd or 4th time saving it, again, many times i get a dxf that actually has something in it. Now, I'm finding that, after flattening the part, if I flatten it AGAIN while inside the flat environment, it gives me a complete dxf the first time I save it out. No idea what is causing this, and I didn't even realize I could flatten a flattened model, or why I can do this, but apparently it works.

I've attached a file, though it has interpart copies, and also I've already gotten the dxf, but I've included it to show how I got it to work. Two flattens.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

I removed the second flat and had no propblem getting a valid DXF even with forcing the flat out of date and updating.  I also removed all of the flats and still had no issue outputting a valid DXF.

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP4
Testing: ST10

I get the same result as Ken....and all looks to me, the same process as I would've used to make it, so nothing further to offer on it.

The file seems very slow to open, though I'm picking that might have to do with the IPC links.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

I guess it must be something with my install.

When you say "slow to open" like how slow? How long does it take to open for you?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

[ Edited ]

nominus38 wrote:

I guess it must be something with my install.

When you say "slow to open" like how slow? How long does it take to open for you?

If I open [both tested on my local system SSD] a similarly sized file, it opens in 1.26 seconds, yet when I open your file it takes 8.22 seconds.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Jesus. That's slow. It takes less than a second for me. Do you think the missing interpart links can account for it?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

[ Edited ]

nominus38 wrote:

Jesus. That's slow. It takes less than a second for me. Do you think the missing interpart links can account for it?

I know right?....that's why I mentioned it.

I can only point my finger at the interpart links, as when I exported your file to a Parasolid, reimported to PSM, flattened and exported a DXF fine....closed, then opening that PSM file after establishing all that, it took 1.29 seconds.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Missing links *will* slow down file open times!