Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: The zero thickness error means that whatever geometry you...

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @TheRealABear

but imagine, that You will  have such a part in reality!

What will happen there, if there is a single point or line where the material will become zero?

Yes, exactly, the part will break there!

A zero volume will not be able in real world for one and the same part!

It will be possible if You have muliple parts there.

Best example for me here always was and is a ball bearing.

The balls have exact a point to point contact with outer and inner ring.

Until ST5 it was not possible to model such a part within one single part, we always needed an assmebly, even if a ball bearing is a single item for the engineer.

Or - what most of us did - we modeled it a little bit wrong, the balls diameter 0.01 of a mm bigger or smaller and everything was OK.

Since ST5 this will be over now, we can handle a Multi-Body-Part

And with ST10 it even will be possible to correct this situation during import into a part

This for me is a real practical functionality, together with the option to delete all inner holes from that body.

regards
Wolfgang

Creator
Creator
I absolutely agree that IRL the part will break at that point - which is why I feel that it is imperative that the software show us exactly WHERE the zero-material point IS, rather than just ambiguously tell us "Hey there is one of these issues, but we're not gonna tell you where it is!"
Almost nobody WANTS a zero-material condition, we want help defining the specific location so we don't have to waste time searching that which could be a very large sketch for the problem location. Smiley Happy

Creator
Creator
I just tried this and unfortunately, it isn't highlighting the problem location, it's just popping the non-manifold warning.
Smiley Sad I was REALLY hoping this would work.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @TheRealABear

save the example as parasolid and import it back into a part.

You should get 2 bodies and looking at the connecting area of the should answer Your question.

Or at least should help to find where the problem might be.

regards
Wolfgang