What is Femap, or femapapi.exe running in background?

I started a thread earlier this week, trying to finger out why my assembly was locking up and eventually couldn't open. At the time, I noticed femapapi.exe running when I had to shut down SolidEdge.

I started a new assembly, and had no problems re-creating the one that was locking up. I then took that new assembly, copied with Revision Manager, and now this newest assembly is reacting slowly, and the femapapi.exe is popping into the list of running processes. The assembly takes a bit to regenerate after I have opened a part within the assembly.

I've opened 4 other previous projects, NONE of them have this femapapi.exe showing up in the list of running processes, via Task Manager. What is it, and where is it coming from?

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.
3 REPLIES

Re: What is Femap, or femapapi.exe running in background?

Suggest you log an IR and let support help you figure this out...

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

I used to have stability problems. Once I learned to use sketch colors, and to never let anything turn brown or blue, then most of the issues went way. My only remaining stability issues have to do with flat patterns containing 2 way and 3 way corners. Sometimes I lose flat patterns if I change a gage and forget to pay attention to the details of the corners.

It is still being investigated, but at this point it seems to be with some new parts I've been making. I've created a part file to make a sheetmetal part, and during the flattening of this part, it's having to do lots of calculations. On top of that, I have part copies of these new parts. So, my assembly is working double-time making all these calculations. I'm going to try working on my last project that had this problem, and try removing my flat patterns until I'm finished with everything else.

These new parts I've been working with, sometimes I set to a low accuracy and it will flatten, sometimes I have to set a higher number. They are telling me that these higher numbers are requiring more simulation to resolve, and think that is why the femap process is showing up.

That's what I'm being told this week, and I hope to dive back into it next week to find a fix to my issues.

ST8 MP9
Go FAST, or go home.