Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the best method to show a parts Quantity on a DFT from an assembly?

Pioneer
Pioneer

For example, I have a drawing of Part_01.dft from Part_01.par. If there are 5 of these in Assembly_01.asm, how do I show on Part_01.dft that there are 5 automatically? Is this possible?

27 REPLIES

Re: What is the best method to show a parts Quantity on a DFT from an assembly?

Legend
Legend
You want Part_01.dft to say 5? I would think a better way is that you would have an Assembly_01.dft that would show 5 of the Part_01.par in your assembly.

Pioneer
Pioneer

That's right. We have that also (assembly drawings with parts required), but we also issue individual drawings showing the amount of each needed per assembly written on.

I'm essentially trying to find a way to automate this on each drawing if at all possible (i don't control the process unfortunately)

Creator
Creator

In ST9, I established a custom property that gets added to all my solid edge files.I simply called it "Req" and that number (manually entered) is then retrieveable in single part draft callouts. There is a drawback...

If your part is used in multiple assemblies and you want to have one single file for all these assmeblies, that means the "req" value would only be correct for certain assemblies... A couple of ways around this...

Have a master instance of the part which drives part-copies (ordered, auto-updating). These copies would live separately with each individual assembly and can be assigned their own requirements value.

Someone more slick than I could probably leverage the assembly reports (Atomic BOM) to read into a draft callout. I would love to see what kind of draft templates others have come up with for doing assmeblies and details.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

AFAIK you need an assembly view in the draft to drive quantity values automatically. Otherwise it's just a manual process.

So you would need the assembly in which the part is used in the draft but the view of it can be hidden or off to the side of the border.

The procedure would be:

Put a view of the assembly in the draft (off to the side).

With view wizard place view(s) of the part to be detailed. Don't browse for it, pull it from the list presented.

Point to the part with a callout with at least this in it: %{Parts List Quantity|G}

Turn off the arrow if desired.

Alternatively you could use a balloon with the qty button on and the shape and arrow off as well but I think the property in a callout is way more versatile.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP7 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

If I understand correctly, the only "paperwork" going to the shop are the drawings for individual parts.

I'd sure look into a way of utilizing a BOM to go with the drafts, but I'm accostumed to a lot more paperwork/automation that drives the processes through the shop.

You don't need the BOM, you just need the assembly in the draft. But the view of the assembly is just there to reflect the part qty and won't be printed.

Bruce Shand

Legend
Legend
How does your process work, if that part is used in numerous assemblies?

Do you mean company wide or just for a project or all same parts in subassemblies within a top assembly? Company wide would not be possible.

Bruce Shand

Betreff: What is the best method to show a parts Quantity on a DFT from an assembly?

Hi @User_Error

I have seen this request so often in the past couple of years, but it seems, that there is no way to stop that request.

Besides the already mentioned way to get that info onto the draft at all, it doesn't make any sense!

A draft of a single part should include all information to produce one single item of it, nothing more.

What is the quantity of one part?

Yes, it is ONE!

How will You handle that request let me say for something like a standard part (besides the fact, that there are no drawing for standard parts, but let's assume it is a manufactured part which is used in several assemblies).

Which number will be printe o that draft?

Or, what I have seen already, will You create a revision for any situation where that part will be used?

And this for any time?

This request IMHO clearly shows the approach of connecting ERP infos to production infos, but the draft is not that place to keep that info.

Will You also put the info of e.g. delivery company, vendor, etc. onto that draft?

Next week YOu have to order the same part at a different vendor, due to the fact, that the first one already is busy, to busy finishing Your first order.

The scenario can be expanded as wide as You like.

The fact - at any time - will be, a qunatity is nothing (also regarding to the drafting standards) which should be on a draft.

But, as always, I have a "but", but there is a way to handle that request in a proper way.

But You will need additional tools and systems to fullfill it.

I have several users who have such parts, and their drafts.

On the draft there is a placeholder for a property text showning the qunatity of parts for a certain order!

This is important!

And the draft as well as the part is released, so no changes can be saved.

During a workflow by PDM we create modify this draft, changing the placeholder in proeprty text with the order quantity information and order number and save a PDF for order system together with the vendor info

So this draft now is not longer a technical draft with part manufacturing infos only, no it is an order draft for one single and full defined order for one vendor.

This is as we use Solid Edge a little as ERP extension.

Any other method will bring You into a bad situation, and this faster as You can imagine!

Believe me!

regards
Wolfgang