Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: What is the best method to show a parts Quantity on a DFT from an assembly?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

I agree that one detail drawing represents that single part and other downstream operations represent the quantity needed. Whether it's for a one-time build or keeping the stock up for all planned builds. In a perfect world.

But different organizations work in different ways. Some don't have an ERP system at all and try to use the drawings to help out in that regard. For the one time build as an example. We actually do that here. Usually by detailing all or most parts on a multi-sheet draft with an assembly view off to the side and a BOM on the drawing to indicate quantities, material, cut lengths, etc. We have no ERP, no PLM and our order process is manual. Pretty primitive in this day and age. But it works and the overhead stays lower. Our products are typically one-off so that helps too.

There's no sense fighting about their whys and wherefores. Companies in that situation are probably already aware of the "pain" involved but aren't going to invest in a PLM/ERP system. No amount of lecturing is going to change that. So, if they can find a way to make the software work for them, then good, and if they can't they can't but who are we to judge their methods?

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Betreff: What is the best method to show a parts Quantity on a DFT from an assembly?

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Every drawing has a name and number: Document Number = Part number,  Title = part name

In my case X-#### = part number.

So I have a directory for every drawing. That directory also contains the assembly and any parts designed in the context of that assembly.

So you have a part. make a draft of it. Then insert that part into the next assembly with the same name an number built into that part.

Then it's a matter of setting up the formmating of the parts list. I set it up in a way that a single formatting of the parts lists works for any kind of part (Part, sheet meatal, frame member, assembly, etc....)

Two other related important tools: The Gage table for sheet metal, and the frame profiles for using the frame features. Each 1D (gage) or 2D (frame member) part has names and numbers built into to them for display in the parts list.

Hi @bshand

no doubts to everything YOu have said.

But the fundamental question is an will be: "Is it good to write a quantity into a single part draft?"

My answer would be no.

And Yours also isn't that far from that.

Why will it not be possible to make an assembly drawing and put a BOM onto it.

This isn't a question of ERP, PDM, PLM, or what ever, this is not a matter of how the company size, engineering department or what ever.

No, IMHO it is a question of a hazard play with drafting information, that very soon will bring a wrong info to the wrong people.

We have learned at technical college how a draft should be created, which infos must be there and which one should be there.

And for me it is a rule from that time on that a quantity is nothing for a single part drawing.

At the moment, when You have a draft with quantity on it, the complete life cycle will be obsolete.

Write Your quantities into the BOM, if You like export the BOM to excel or what ever system You like
but my advise from a long time with drafts, drawings and design will be, to not put it onto Your drawing.

And as always, this is a personal opinion, and the good is, that everybody can and should have his own!

regards
Wolfgang

@hawcad, I agree with you in general but we aren't being asked here to judge methods or assume we know best how someone else should do things.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

I use a similar situation as the OP.

In that: I add the quantity onto the drawing for every part.

Now let me explain,   I / we are a small team creating projects completely in house, thus I only create the draft file for internal use, these projects are designed and manufactured as a 'kit', so as parts are drawn they are issued with a document number based on the project / kit. even if the same part is used across different projects then it has a differnet document number. 

Each draft is given to the workshop showing the quanity required.

I use a macro to parse the assembly file and provide a the quantity used and part status etc, this is then written onto the paper copy of the drawing..  (found the SE BOM list was poor at determining how many parts were used when drilling down sub assy's)

We dont use teamcenter or other file management software, even the built in version is not quite good enough yet.   (ST10) but do use a simple document number generator, and existing status flags for control.

This suits our way of working but would not recomend it for elsewhere,   as it has been said above a BOM is a far better approach ( its just our workshop cant seem to read two seperate documents.. the drawing and a quantity list, so we had to combine them).

If you do persevere with this approach a custom macro is the best way,  SE should not be changed to suit the 1% (me)

Regards Kevin

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

Attached is an example drawing of how I create parts lists.

100% automated. I can delete and re-add the entire parts list in 5 seconds.

Under all that, It's ordered sheet metal. Move one plane, and the entire box and parts all automatically update to a new sized box.

@kevin_parker wrote:
(found the SE BOM list was poor at determining how many parts were used when drilling down sub assy's)

In the case where you have the same part in multiple subassemblies then for my above posted method to work you would need to add a BOM (though you needn't show it) and change it in the list control tab to an atomic list (all parts). Then it will reflect the total qty.

Bruce Shand

Hi there @User_Error

My NZ$0.02.....

The way I do it.....is to place a view of the assembly still, BUT, edit the drawing view properties, to only show the part I am focusing on detailing, then create other views from that.

Most of the time, I will also display the full view of the assembly with the other parts set "as Reference", thereby keeping the ability to use the BOM tools, for item counts, etc.....

Capture[08092017-0914].PNG

Capture[08092017-0915].PNG

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP4] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

@User_Error  Something similar but different than @SeanCresswell does...

1. Create a new Drawing file.
  2. Select the View Wizard command and insert a view of the top-level assembly (TLA).  If there is no need for it to be displayed in the drawing, place it to the side of the drawing sheet boundary.
  3. Select the View Wizard command again.
  4. Insure that the option "Create drawing view independent of assembly" is unchecked.
  5. In the Parts pane, find the component you wish to document and place a view (or views).
  6. To create a note showing the quantity of the component needed for the entire TLA... Select the Callout command.
  7. In the Callout Text field, insert the string of text desired, using the following string of property text for wher the quantity is to show: %{Parts List Quantity|G}
  8. Select OK
  9. Toggle off the Leader option on the Callout command bar.
  10. Select the component view graphics to connect the callout to.
  11. Place the callout text at the desired location.

You now have a note showing the total number of occurrences for the component.

NOTE:  If the component occurrence initially selected in step 5 is removed from the TLA structure, the drawing view and callout reference will be lost.  Pick a component occurrence that is not likely to be removed.

ADDENDUM:  This also depends on a Parts List being set to Atomic Parts to work as it is pulling the value from the active parts list which does not actually need to be placed and kept.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP4, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Hi,

although I'm not a friend of "Quantity in single Part!" - therefore I had to much pain, problems and headaches in the past - I have written an SE macro many years ago, doing exactl ythis.

Calculating the number of Quantity for every single part in an assembly and writing back this info into a part property.

So if this is in Your sense and You are aware of all thge risks and possible problems which can come with that procedure, I can dig out those old macro, can chekc wether it will work with a current version of SE and if You want, I can share it with the forum.

regards
Wolfgang