Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: What is the best method to show a parts Quantity on a DFT from an assembly?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Hi Kenny,

From reading everyone's replies it appears there is no "simple" way to acheive what i'm after, only workarounds - if that's the case then that's the answer.

The reason I asked this question essentially is because when we issue manufacturing packs to the shop floor, we manuallly put the part numbers on each individual drawing as others have mentioned they do. In my mind this is time consuming and hopefully could be automated. We already have part qty on the overall top level BOM but because of how work is delegated per job we include part quantities on the drawing to.

Linking this back to Solid Edge, we sometimes have hundreds of drawings per pack, so including the top level assembly in each dft hidden from border would surely increase file storage size signficiantly? There would also be a lot of set up time per drawing, for mostly relatively simple parts which might take longer than the time it takes to just write it on (so no real benefit here).

I've been using callouts a lot in my automated drawing borders lately so that's along the lines of what I was hoping for, a variable that relates to an external assembly.

Also, most assemblies are bespoke and have specific numbers, so there would be no 'overlap' ie of print and repeat jobs - the setup time would be the same across each job.

However, i'll give this a go on smaller jobs to see in practice how it affects filesize, time taken to set up etc because I know a solution would save a lot of time. Maybe someone who has macro knowledge could find a way to do this automatically? I don't know if you could for example retrieve based on searches in macros.

Thanks for the answers from everyone else by the way, even if there's no clearcut solution (that clearly others would really benefit from) it's been interesting to see how others work and potential ways to get to the end-goal here.

Betreff: What is the best method to show a parts Quantity on a DFT from an assembly?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@KennyG wrote:

@User_Error  Something similar but different than @SeanCresswell does...

But exactly like my suggestion with a little more flesh on the bones.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP4 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @User_Error

let me give one final answer to Your request and a hint for another approach.

If You have saved the drafts PDF and You can automize an addon print of the quantity number, order number, etc. as a stamp, then You will have the advantage of not playing with Solid Edge and artifical drawings (ASM besides the draft, view and BOM to get this info), You will not have any problems with the life cycle of those documents and finally You nevertheless will have Your quantity assigned to  a certain part together with the order for production.

One final question might be allowed here - as we thought about similar issues many years ago :

Creating those papers of course will not be the problem - no.

But if You have to output them in paperform too, have You considered the printing time and the printing costs of those papers?

I have seen this approx. 10 years ago, that a minor change in part geometry could be handled in within 20 minutes for the complete assembly. No problems with revision manager, etc.

So if the "Boss" asked: "How long will this modification take time for us?",  
the true answer was : "Give us an hour, to do it!"

OK - so far so good.

But a couple of days later we were asked, why to the hell it took so long time to handle it in the shop floor?

Wow, what was so long?

Not the changing in SE and CAD - but the printer worked 1.5 days to bring all the changed drafts onto paper again!

Maybe this memories make me so sensible when getting this question.

Even after 10 years, everything come up again.

There are many things to consider!

regards
Wolfgang

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi hawcad.

There is a great interest in the Macro mentioned above.
Can I post to the forum? ..

Hi @Hclee

I can take a look into my old treasure box wether I can find it and if Yes, then we have to test wether it works with current Solid Edge version.

If this also will be, then we have the last big issue with that macro:

"It for sure only will be in German, most of my old macros only were written in German only!"

Will check when back in the office

regards
Wolfgang

Phenom
Phenom

Although not recommended, I can see insctances where this would be required.

I would place a view of the assembly and draft the parts from that as @bshand suggested, using multiple sheets within the draft file. Whether you place the assembly view off the sheet is a matter of preference - personally I wouldn't. I would leave the assembly on the first sheet and place a BOM on there.

If you dont want a BOM, you can use a callout to the individual part view with property text to identify the quantity required for the assembly - Graphic Connection to Part > PartsListQuantity I think.

If you dont want multiple sheets, do as I have described but then in the assembly view change all other parts to display as reference, but leave the one you are detailing as visible - you never know, the assembly view might be useful.

EDIT: That should be by 'Graphic Connection'.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST10 MP12 on Windows 10 Pro 64.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hello @KennyG,

Is there any way to show part quantity instead of sub-assembly quantity with graphic connection call-out when sub-assembly quantity is shown in part list.

I just want call-out for part quantity as file name call-out work for graphic connection to Part or graphic connection to assembly. The code {Parts List Quantity|G} only present quantity from part list. I want code like Quantity|GA, and Quantity|GP which will show quantity directly from graphic connection and not depends on part list placed on draft file.

Please suggest.

Regards,
Aslam

HI @aslam

a Quatntity per definition always is linked to a certain BOM.

So just create a second BOM with total part quantity instead of subassembly quantity (as You called it) and use this for showing the pos numbers and quantites.

You can have more than one BOM in the same draft, You only have to take care which one is the current active one.

regards
Wolfgang