Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What is the biggest time-saving trick you wish you'd have learnt earlier on Solid Edge?

Phenom
Phenom

To change out all the keyboard short-cuts to match my other system (NX)! Same goes for the Radial Popup menu!

That way:

Ctrl+B= Hide (Blank) Note: this is actually Hide selected geometry and not a bulk filter! It would be nice to select specific geometry from the screen and Hide it. Not being limited to one type of geometry and then an all or nothing option.

Ctrl+F= Fit

Ctrl+D= Delete

Crtl+W= Show/Hide All by type

Or to get a double click middle mouse button in NX to do the Fit function. I can't recall how many times I'm teaching an NX class and I'm double clicking and wondering why my geometry isn't fitting! Or doing a Ctrl+F in SE and getting the front view!

Re: What is the biggest time-saving trick you wish you'd have learnt earlier on Solid Edge?

Experimenter
Experimenter
I wish I'd learnt almost all these tricks earlier ...

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

An old feature, and one that can easily be overlooked.......

When wanting to trim numerous geometry entities in a sketch, a Draft sketch in this example, you can speed the process up by using click + drag, across the geometry, after activating the command. [this also works for "Extend to Next"]

(view in My Videos)

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

I'm a little late to the party, but the one I wish I had known earlier was showing reference planes while in assemble mode. I don't want to exit, turn planes on and go back into assemble mode, such a waste of time. When you are placing a part and you've selected your first surface, if you hold down the "R" button and select the part (or parts) that you want to see the planes, they will turn on while in assemble mode. They then turn off when you exit assemble mode.

Jamie

Jamie Griffis | PLM Solution Architect | Engineering USA

Legend
Legend
That's one I'd not known, and will def try! Is there one for sketches too?

I'm a little late to the party, but the one I wish I had known earlier was showing reference planes while in assemble mode. I don't want to exit, turn planes on and go back into assemble mode, such a waste of time. When you are placing a part and you've selected your first surface, if you hold down the "R" button and select the part (or parts) that you want to see the planes, they will turn on while in assemble mode. They then turn off when you exit assemble mode.

Jamie

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

@Trikefreak - I'm not sure about schetches. I know if you click + shift and drag, you can move the part around. Or click + ctrl and drag you can rotate the part around during assemble mode. 

Jamie

Jamie Griffis | PLM Solution Architect | Engineering USA

Legend
Legend

I'm open to suggestions, so thanks. Many of my coworkers have their settings set to work different than mine, but whatever they are doing seems to take more mouse clicks, so I'll keep watching for other input.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Hi,

how do you use the steering wheel to copy parts, tried couple of different ways but nothing seems to work.

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Not clear about what you mean by copying 'parts' but normally you keep the Ctrl or Control key pressed while dragging the Steering Wheel Axis to copy the selection in part and sheetmetal environment.

In the assembly mode, Ctrl+dragging an existing part or sub-assembly inserts another instance.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Awesome thanks that worked.