Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What is the biggest time-saving trick you wish you'd have learnt earlier on Solid Edge?

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hello,

Sorry in the wrong time zone at the moment, 

Yes that is exactly the function I was refering to.

Toggle Display.JPG

As I said I have keymapped it to Ctrl + W myself so it is next to the Ctrl + Q for parts.

I know that this conflicts with other applications but is my prefered location.

Kevin

Re: What is the biggest time-saving trick you wish you'd have learnt earlier on Solid Edge?

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom

To check the Solid Edge Forum each day.

Keeps my edge sharp.

LMGi
www.TLMGi.com

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@JasonTitcomb wrote:

To check the Solid Edge Forum each day.

Keeps my edge sharp.

AMEN, brother!

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Genius
Genius

My biggest time saver is having a proper workflow

1.  Model everything in your assemblies.  I don’t know how many times modelling every nut screw and washer has saved me from interferences.

2.  I model in ordered, so make sure that your sketches are fully constrained.  Have it show you when they are not constrained in the tree and set the switch to change the color of fully constrained entities on the sketch.  Ground entities to strong features such as the ground plane.  It will save you rework later.  Also pay attention to the gray arrows in the tree that show a feature as having an issue and fix those issues.

3.  Fully constrain your assemblies unless your purposefully wish to leave an item unconstained.

4.  Interference check early and often, and check minimum distances when you are getting close.

5.  Finally don’t be afraid to go back and start over.  Oftentimes you get to a place where you are just hacking and whacking a model tree that is getting way too long.  Remodeling in situations like these will save you headache in the future.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Yesterday I tried the previously mentioned trick of using the "move on select" steering wheel along with the crtl button to copy a stack of a screw, 2 washers and a nylock nut to other holes in an assembly.  In this particular instance, patterning wasn't an option so I was looking for something to  speed things along. 

I did have to clean up the axial constraints to tie the hardware to the new holes, but that's a lot quicker than placing each piece of hardware over and over.

Thanks for the tip!

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Legend
Legend

I'll have to try this one, see how it compares to making an assembly of the screw/washers/nut and placing them, then dispersing.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @kjoiner

@kjoiner  schrieb:

Yesterday I tried the previously mentioned trick of using the "move on select" steering wheel along with the crtl button to copy a stack of a screw, 2 washers and a nylock nut to other holes in an assembly.  In this particular instance, patterning wasn't an option so I was looking for something to  speed things along. 

I did have to clean up the axial constraints to tie the hardware to the new holes, but that's a lot quicker than placing each piece of hardware over and over.

Thanks for the tip!

Kyle

If You change the options there, to delete all existing relations and automatically creat new for new target parts, there is no extra work to do for a complete posiitoning of those copied or moved parts!

regards
Wolfgang

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Hi @Trikefreak

Have you tried the Clone command. This could work well for you too?

Clone command

Phenom
Phenom

If I may ask, sounds like many are using a lot of keyboard shortcuts.  I don't have my hands on the keyboard much, use the mouse on the right and 3D input on the left with buttons that capture most of what I need.

Just wondering if anyone has 3D input device with more than a couple programmable buttons and still use keyboard shortcuts a lot.  It may be splitting hairs, but the bit of time spent going back and forth to/from the keyboard is probably why I use so few keyboard short cuts.  Number pad is about it unless naming files or notes in a draft or editing dimension formula.

Thoughts from users of 3d input device on moving hands to/from keyboard frequently for these shortcuts.

Thank you.

->If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.
->If you have started a thread and a response solves the problem or answers the question you asked, then please mark it as solution. Note, there can be multiple solutions for a thread.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Matt, Is there a keyboard short cut or ability to program a space mouse to show the radial menu? I hate having to press and hold the mouse button to show it... in fact I hate having to press the mouse buttons any time (knackered hands).