Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What is the biggest time-saving trick you wish you'd have learnt earlier on Solid Edge?

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

As an aside to this discussion of shortcut keys and use of buttons on your non-mouse hand, any "seasoned" CAD jockeys remember these?

TB1LMLqFFXXXXbIaXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic.jpg

Re: What is the biggest time-saving trick you wish you'd have learnt earlier on Solid Edge?

Pioneer
Pioneer

Matt, Is there a keyboard short cut or ability to program a space mouse to show the radial menu? I hate having to press and hold the mouse button to show it... in fact I hate having to press the mouse buttons any time (knackered hands).

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Don't remember using this antique piece of hardware Dave, though I can see it connects via a PS/2 port

Do I still qualify to be a 'seasoned' CAD user Smiley Wink

Legend
Legend

I've surprised how few people use the automatic Snap To on their mouse. Something so simple, and saves time dragging your mouse around the screen.

Phenom
Phenom

@Redcad2

The 3D connexion software lets you record keyboard or mouse button events, but I can't find a 'timeout' to record...

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge 2019 & AutoCAD 2020 user

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@Trikefreak wrote:

I've surprised how few people use the automatic Snap To on their mouse. Something so simple, and saves time dragging your mouse around the screen.

Could you elaborate? I'm not sure what you mean.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP5 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Legend
Legend

It's just a simple mouse setting: when a save box pops up (example), your mouse will jump to that box to check it. I don't know how to explain, just something I've used for 20 years, and hardly ever see anyone else utilize it. I don't have to drag my mouse across the screen when boxes pop up to accept something.

Capture.JPG

@Trikefreak, oh that. Yeah, I don't care for it either. Seems possible to hit enter accidentally on a save when I don't want to. I'd rather have to intentionally pick it.

Bruce Shand

@uk_dave, Never used such a gadget. I did see things like that for CAD software I never used. CADAM, for example, I think. Did have the keyboard with the function keys on the left. Much more practical than on top.

Bruce Shand

Betreff: What is the biggest time-saving trick you wish you'd have learnt earlier on Solid Edge?

Legend
Legend

Hello,

some of the most time saving things was for us (our company) to import STL files and to export it to JT.

This was the fastest way to get complete power plants or chemical plants from any other CAD system into Solid Edge and exported to JT.

The time saving here was that a STL file not checked in Solid Edge up to version 9.

With this trick, you get a real useful file in seconds exported to JT with all points you need for measure. In Solid Edge you can now construct your additional things to the existing file and save it also to JT, than import it into JT2Go or TCVis  (PLMVis) and you can check if it is matching.

Now we (our company) miss this so much in versions after 9.

In personal have try to find out how to switch off the new STL import function, but have not find jet a conclusion.

Best Regards

Wolfgang