Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: What is the biggest time-saving trick you wish you'd have learnt earlier on Solid Edge?

Experimenter
Experimenter

Data Management, specifically "Where Used" 

Of course when SolidEdge is not temperamenta enough and decides to work properly. 

Re: What is the biggest time-saving trick you wish you'd have learnt earlier on Solid Edge?

Experimenter
Experimenter

When in ordered mode, using the cut tool in the drop down menu of the hole command with the "plane normal to curve" option, you can go back to synchronus and move faces that the cut was originally on, and the cut will move with the new geometry. Saved me a bunch of time vs going back once the geometry had changed and re-doing the cuts! 

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Using the Alt key or CTRL key as modifier keys to copy or reattach things

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

@lifofadrafter wrote:

Using the Alt key or CTRL key as modifier keys to copy or reattach things

Here's a comprehensive list of using the Alt key in Solid Edge, though not updated for a long time.

So if you find any "Alt-trick" that is not listed therein, kindly do comment in the blog.

https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Blog/Alternate-Reality-51-uses-of-the-ALT...

~Tushar Suradkar

www.SurfAndCode.IN

www.CADVertex.com

Legend
Legend

@Trikefreak wrote:

It's just a simple mouse setting: when a save box pops up (example), your mouse will jump to that box to check it. I don't know how to explain, just something I've used for 20 years, and hardly ever see anyone else utilize it. I don't have to drag my mouse across the screen when boxes pop up to accept something.

Capture.JPG

I must say, this tip has saved me a lot of time in Solid Edge & windows in general. Much appreciated @Trikefreak

Quoted Post: https://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/What-is-the-biggest-time-saving-tri...

Solid Edge 2019 MP4 - Windows 10 - K2000

Experimenter
Experimenter

This one is not very easy to explain but I'll give it a go because it's a real time saver in draft mode that few people know of:

Ever tried to modify properties of multiple dimensions? After selecting them, when you click RMB to go to properties only one remains in the selection set. Frustrating...

The trick is simple (and stupid). Select dimensions, click anywhere outside of Solid Edge (2nd monitor is handy), then click RMB in SE and do what you tried to do all along.

Phenom
Phenom

@Jos-DENTA   UNBELIEVABLE!  that's been bothering me for years!  How did you figure that out? 

->If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.
->If you have started a thread and a response solves the problem or answers the question you asked, then please mark it as solution. Note, there can be multiple solutions for a thread.

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

@Jos-DENTA .  That one has bugged me for years as well!  I'll have to try it out.  And it's an excuse to ask for a second monitor!  Smiley Happy

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Folks have been pointing that out lately on the forum for multiple dimension and multiple view property changes. The multiple view one was new to me up until about three weeks ago.

I find having a property button on the quick task ribbon is useful for that purpose but there is probably an icon in the dimension section on the regular ribbons.

You don't really need a second monitor but I won't tell.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Phenom
Phenom

I've been switching to a lot of dual dimensions lately, only place I know to get to the dual units is in properites dialog.  I have not found access to that via the command toolbar. 

I was almost to the point of going through the effort of an IR for this in the past couple weeks but I had already spent a litttle too much time on IR stuff.  This is a great work around to be aware of.

As for the extra monitor, I'm getting allong great with my single 40" 4K TV.  But unlike some users, I do not need accurate color.

->If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.
->If you have started a thread and a response solves the problem or answers the question you asked, then please mark it as solution. Note, there can be multiple solutions for a thread.