Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What is the biggest time-saving trick you wish you'd have learnt earlier on Solid Edge?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I don't remember, I've using it for some years. Explained it to a number of colleagues today, their jaw's dropped so I decided to post it hereSmiley Happy

Highlighted

Re: What is the biggest time-saving trick you wish you'd have learnt earlier on Solid Edge?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@bnemec wrote:

I've been switching to a lot of dual dimensions lately, only place I know to get to the dual units is in properites dialog.  I have not found access to that via the command toolbar. 

PropsButton.JPG

Or as @hawcad points out elsewhere: Select your dimensions, views or entities of a common type and hit Alt-double RMB.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

@bshand wrote:

Or as @hawcad points out elsewhere: Select your dimensions, views or entities of a common type and hit Alt-double RMB.

Though not much different, Control + RMB double-click works as well.

Phenom
Phenom

@bshand wrote:

@bnemec wrote:

I've been switching to a lot of dual dimensions lately, only place I know to get to the dual units is in properites dialog.  I have not found access to that via the command toolbar. 

PropsButton.JPG

Stupid me, I thought it would be in the command bar.

->If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.
->If you have started a thread and a response solves the problem or answers the question you asked, then please mark it as solution. Note, there can be multiple solutions for a thread.

Hi @bnemec 

Even I never realize that a Properties button was added to the ribbon.

But I'd recommend checking which one is more powerful or useful - Command bar or the dialog that the Properties button displays, depending on the type of objects selected.

For example,

Circles - the Properties button provides fewer properties compared to the command bar.

Drawing Views - the same dialog is displayed in both cases.

Dimensions - the Properties button provides more properties compared to the command bar.

~Tushar

Phenom
Phenom

@Tushar  Thank you for pointing those out, sometimes I cannot keep track if there are inconsistancies in the UI or if they're just all in my head.

I saw this a while ago posted on the wall in our Information Systems department, cannot stop thinking of it.

image.png

->If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.
->If you have started a thread and a response solves the problem or answers the question you asked, then please mark it as solution. Note, there can be multiple solutions for a thread.

@bnemec wrote:

If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.

Love your tagline @bnemec 

This is perhaps the biggest time-saving trick I wish I'd have learned earlier on in Solid Edge.

Phenom
Phenom

@Tushar  Smiley Happy  thanks.  It's not my idea, I took it from another technical forum (about microcontrollers) where several people put the one line answer to the top 5 FAQ in their signature.  

I was going to also add a line for what to do when the "?" icon in upper right part of ribbon is greyed out, but deleted it feeling I was the only one stupid enough to actually need help accessing the help.

I'd say Spell Check .... Smiley Happy

"Learnt" = "Learned"

JK .... Kevin

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@KevinAlexander wrote:

I'd say Spell Check .... Smiley Happy

"Learnt" = "Learned"

JK .... Kevin

Depends on where you learnt it. Smiley Wink

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200