Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What is the biggest time-saving trick you wish you'd have learnt earlier on Solid Edge?

Legend
Legend

The clone component in the assy environment..  its the faster brother of duplicate component.

In our case I place one blade and all sub parts in an hole, than fire up the command, mostly a series of holes sometimes these holes are located in more than one part and accept it... it will show red dots were all the cloned positions are found, you can swich locations off or change orientation and than finish it off...  the are grouped together and I than drop the mother components in the top of that group, to keep it tidy.

A very very big time saver compared to the old pattern method...

https://youtu.be/0d0iWrDiADo

Thanks to the maker of this tutorial

Kind Regards,

Jan Bos

Emmen, The Netherlands

User since version 3.5  (1997)

Re: What is the biggest time-saving trick you wish you'd have learnt earlier on Solid Edge?

Legend
Legend

Put all setting files, like reports, material table, holes, templates and macros in the cloud.

In our case dropbox.. with the dropbox folder moved to c:\dropbox 

Now all these files are local, since they are stored on your (ssd) hard drive... and synchronised to the cloud, other users and your home station.

Just setup one workstation with all the correct setting and use the setting and preference wizard to store this setting in the cloud.

Installing Solid  Edge is now very simple... just  install SE, run latest maintenance pack and fire up settings and preference wizard to deploy the stored setting to this new workstation.

Kind regards,

Jan Bos

Emmen, the Netherlands

User since Solid Edge Version 3.5

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Jan_Bos

But will the Setting and Preference Wizzard not use one and the same username?

So IMHO this can't be used for different users?

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

@hawcad

It doesn't, we use it also but we export the file to a network location and we deploy it to each new user or fresh install.

We don't deploy appdata because that doesn't really work. When I tried it for first time our support told me that it was not made for the purpose we use it. But it works and saves so much time for each account to have all settings correct.

Even our system IT guy can set-up SE entirely for each new colleague.

- Install SE.

- Install Latest MP.

- Open SE.

- Copy Customization folder into appdata.

- Run "Setting and Preference Wizzard".

Computer is ready to go in 1min after installment by a guy who has zero SE experience. Which took me 30min for each colleague settings in the past. Took me 1 entire day for ST8 in the past Man LOL.

Note1: We have a lot of own settings, mayby a bit to much.

Note2:  Setting and Preference Wizzard for some kind of way bypasses security Windows 10 settings which works for us with dxf settings in program files bieing copied from network drive. Windows made that impossible to do it directly, you had to copy it TO the c-drive first and theN copy to program files. The wizard just bypasses it Man Tongue.

Sander
The Netherlands

Solution Partner Legend Solution Partner Legend
Solution Partner Legend

Thanks @Jan_Bos. Good to see my tips making it around the world. Glad it helped.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

The biggest time saver I have only recently found is the Toggle display Icon.

Its been there a long time but not really used it as an icon,  now I map it to Ctrl + W

it then has the same function as Ctrl + Q but at the assembly level, so I can hide and unhide parts individually.

Kevin

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Hello @kevin_parker

Which Toggle icon are you talking about ?

I have set Ctrl+W to Close currently open file which is a universal shortcut across applications like MS Word, Excel, and other.

~Tushar

Hi @Tushar

suppose that @kevin_parker is talking about the Toggle Display function for assemblies.

20180726_1113.png

regards
Wolfgang

Gears Honored Contributor Gears Honored Contributor
Gears Honored Contributor

Oh, OK. Nice.

I had Show/Hide Previous level in mind all the time.

Thanks for pointing out.

Hi @Tushar

as said, I only did an assumption, and those never are facts!

regards
Wolfgang