What is the easiest way to make threads?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'm a student learning how to use Solid Edge (ST4), and was practicing by recreating a small LED flashlight.  The end cap unscrews, hence the need for threads.  I am in Ordered mode. Any help is greatly appreciated! I can upload the file if needed.

3 REPLIES

Hi Brian,   General practice is to use the thread "repres...

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Brian,

General practice is to use the thread "representations" tools to apply thread to a shaft, or while making the hole, you can apply the thread there.

In cases that require the threaded area to be physically modeled, generally require revolved features, be they cut or add profiles. This also makes for very heavy files, in terms of display performance and actual file size.

Have a look at the help file on these topics....and a good idea to run through some of the tutorials to get a handle on where things are, and what they're called.

Good luck.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Re: Hi Brian,   General practice is to use the thread "repres...

Pioneer
Pioneer
Thanks Sean,

I've done a majority of the built in tutorials, and I'm in a CAD class in school (UAHuntsville), but I do have a lot of basic learning to do. Theoretically if I wanted to make a hole with three threads in it, would I create a helix with 3 turns, and then use that helix to make a cut in the shape of the thread? If it's not easily possible for a beginner, I'll just worry about it down the road.

Again, thanks for your help!
Brian Mixon

Re: What is the easiest way to make threads?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
Hi Brian, Yes, make your 3-turns helix protrusion, with rounds/fillets added after, to the lid/cap then save & close out, then in the body model, use "Insert Part Copy" and with a "Coordinate System" to position it (if not modeled in relative position) then apply a Boolean subtract to remove the material from the body exactly where it's needed. HTH.
Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10