Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the trick to better catch end points of lines ?

Genius
Genius

I try to combine lines with the relations, as You see in the attached video. But the success to catch the relevant end points of the lines is unpredictable. Sometimes I can easily catch the first line end, but have problems to catch the second one, as shown in the video, where I did not succeed. I started another trial, this time I easily catched the other end of line but could not get the one, I easily caught in my first trial. In a third trial I could combine them both.

For me, sometimes it is like a game of luck, if I succeed or not.

So I guess, there might be some rule, which I should observe to improve this procedure for me.

(view in My Videos)

best regards

Hans

30 REPLIES

Re: What is the trick to better catch end points of lines ?

Legend
Legend

I have the same issue, with parts that are created as .psm, switched to part, then back to sheet metal. I just shrugged it off because they are "odd" sheet metal creations, so I just learn to deal with it.

Following to see what other folks have for solutions.

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Not sure if what you are seeing is a selection issue or a bug...

if only a selection issue...  dont forget about M.I.C.E.

By holding down the keyboard key E and selecting near the end of the line you should be able to easily select the ENDPOINT...

M= Midpoint

I = Intesection

C= Center

E = Endpoint

HTH... 

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX11 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Solution Partner Genius Solution Partner Genius
Solution Partner Genius

Have you looked into using 3D sketching? It looks like you are trying to connect lines that are drawn in different sketch planes which can easily be done with a 3D sketch. 

Genius
Genius

Dear Matt,

thank You for the interesting suggestion. I searched and found Your tutorial. But unfortunately for me it doesn't make a difference if I press "m" or "i" or "c" ore "e". So probaby there is something I missed to observe. My trials are in part-mode working in synchronous mode ... ?

best regards

Hans

Genius
Genius

Dear bweisenberger,

thank You for the suggestion to take an other approach. I'll try that.

But I also would like to understand, why my approach does not work well, to learn more how SE works/thinks.

Do You have a suggestion?

best regards

Hans

Betreff: What is the trick to better catch end points of lines ?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Hans11

from the video it is hard to see which lements belong to which sketch and what the current sketch plane really is.

But one thing is visible vey clear, and this is, that pperspective is turned on.

Try first to turn off perspective and to another tes wether it works better or not.

regards
Wolfgang

Genius
Genius

I attach a further video, which systematicely tries just to click to the different lines.

As You can see, the reaction to clicks seems to depend on the moment, when I click it.

• Most of the trials I see the blue line becomes green with two blue points at the end of the lines.
  • But sometimes the line just become orange,
  • sometime the line completely resists to any click-trial.
  • But the same line which did not react before becomes green with two blue dots at the ends at a later trial, after I had clicked other lines in the meantime.

So the reaction to click a line seems to be different depending on which line I had clicked before .... what right now seem to be nonesense to me.

Is there anybody who knows how to understand this behaviour?

What is the true cause of the different reactions to click trials? What does it mean, if a line becomes green with blue dots at the end in contrast to becoming orange without blue balls at the end?

(view in My Videos)

best regads

Hans

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Hans11

again there is perspective on, give it a chance to turn it off first.

And - more important - what is the final goal of those lines in space?

Will they be needed for use in a framedesign?

If Yes, then late me suggest to create a simple box with 2 3D lines on bottom.

You can use every edge of this box as well as any 3D sketch element.

And a box is much easier to create, all edges are connected automatically and the plane for the bottom lines are there too.

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: What is the trick to better catch end points of lines ?

Genius
Genius

Hi Wolfgang

the perspective-view seems to be an important point!

I attach a video with the same sequence with perspective view swithed off. And now clicking behaves much more predictable!

(view in My Videos)

Great idea!

I'll try to apply this point to my initial problem

best regards

Hans