Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is your workplace server setup? Need reccomendations to speed up work.

Genius
Genius

Hi ,

We are currently 4 in our workplace using solidedge sT9. Our shared files are located on one of the 4 PCs .

An -Intel Xeon CPU  W3550 @ 3.07GHz

-20 Go RAM

-The three other pcs ares the same but with less RAM (12 go).

-Total files shared as of today. 27 314 files- 733 folders for 15.3 Go.

-Largest typical assemby is around 7 Mo  with 1000 files/parts

We are experimenting slow down and are trying to find the bottleneck.

Setting up the first PC as the server was a temporary solution and now we have to make a switch and don't want to spend money on a machine to big that we don't need.

According to other topics a NAS seems to be a good solution but mayby just another PC used just for this would work to.

What would you recommend as a cost effective solution and/or what is your server/workstation setup?

We did receive a quote and it added up to 10 000 $!!! Thas why we are asking for advice of professionals who actually work with 3d CAD.

Thanks

Thanks.

ST9
Conveyor and industrial equipment designer.
Giving SE a chance.
6 REPLIES

Re: What is your workplace server setup? Need reccomendations to speed up work.

Genius
Genius

Have you considered using Dropbox?

Solid Edge 2019 MP2 - Windows 10 - K2000

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Seems like an excellent question for a small group. Perfect candidate to use Built in data management I would think. From what I've read here NAS doesn't allow Windows indexing so that's a problem right off the bat. I'll leave it to others to fill in the gaps.

Bruce Shand
ST10 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Our NAS device is mounted as a local drive to the Windows Server machine.  Windows indexes it just fine.  The user connects to the Windows Server. The fact that the data is stored on a NAS device is completely transparent to the client.

I setup ST9 (first gen BiDM) on it and got "green folders" on the client and fast searches.  I had problems getting all of the custom properties mapped and indexed.  Then I learned about all the other issues which are hopefully solved with ST10 MP2.  I never really figured out if any of our problems was due to the NAS or the Fast Search Utility and we're still on ST8.

Now that MP2 is out, we're in the midst of installing the Fast Search Utility on the server.  We'll see how well it behaves on our test client and hopefully can roll out ST10 with BiDM to all the users.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

There are standalone NAS devices you just plug into the network.  Recommend one that runs Windows as the OS so that you can use MS Search and thus Solid Edge Built in Data Management (BiDM).  When it comes to performance, NAS/SAN devices are usually set up to provide a lot of read/write caching that a workstation will not.  If you use a PC to do this, you will want to make sure you use a Windows Server OS (Windows Server 2012R2 or Windows Server 2016) on it as they can be specifically configured in a File Server role and thus provide some benefits you will not get from your workstation OS (Win 7 or Win 10).

Ken
Production: ST10 MP9, Testing: SE 2019
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

We have four clients here, using win7 or Win10. The file server is an HP ML10 with two disks S-ATA of 2TB each one, connected as "mirror". The O.S. is Windows Server 2012.

It costed around 550 Euros, including the windows server license.

It works perfectly, stable reliable and silent. The backup is a simple copy of folder from the server to one of the clients: it requires around half hour to transfer 100 GB of data (over 200.000 files and 16.000 folders) on a 1GB LAN.

I decided to buy a real server instead of a NAS due to the several services that I need: license servers, database server, Imap server, file server, etc, and a real operating system could be more customizable if compared to the ones that you can find on normal NASs.

A good idea could be to run the file server from a virtual machine inside the windows host operating system, to make it easier to create backup.

Last suggestion: even if I am a linux fanboy, I must say that the network performances are really better when both server and clients are running Windows if compared to mixed environment with linux servers talking with windows client: keep in mind that the big part of NAS systems use linux as operating system.

Genius
Genius

So if we were to go with NAS what size/type/model would you recommend for our needs?There seems to be a lot of choices and different price ranges.

Really appreciate the help thanks!

ST9
Conveyor and industrial equipment designer.
Giving SE a chance.