What naming convention do you use?

Experimenter
Experimenter

I am a student and have been using Solid Edge more and more. My assemblies have grown bigger and changed over time. One problem that I have ecountered is that version changes create a mess in my project folder.

What is used, what is not used anymore, what is a part of what subassembly. Similar names but not much logic in them.

What naming convention or tips do you have for me and others with the same issues.

1 REPLY

Re: What naming convention do you use?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Well, this is really a philisophical question and will garner a lot of different answers... From a large corporate point of view were many parts are cross used on different assemblies, here are my rules:

1. Parts and sub-assemblies should never have information in them as to where they are used... There is a command for that (Where Used) and are you going to edit that sub or part when it gets used in a new place?
  2. Part numbers are just used to uniquely identify the part, they should not contain any inteligence... that's what Properties are for.  Thus, we use non-significant part numbering, just pull the next available number for a new part...Quick and easy.
  3. Fill out the properties.  Much easier to do a search using them than jumping around different folders and trying to remeber what part number codes are for.  Plus, you can set the Document Name Formula in Solid Edge to display the name in the assembly Patrhfinder tree as well as in the Window titles.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1