What sets the jog distance for automatically placed coordinate dimensions with auto jog

Hello,

I replaced some previously manually placed coordinate dimensions on a drawing with automatically placed ones with auto jog.  The auto jog is putting too much space between the dimensions and stretching the dimension string across the page.  What setting controls the jog distance for coordinate dimensions?

Thanks,

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
13 REPLIES

Re: What sets the jog distance for automatically placed coordinate dimensions with auto jog

Hello,

Attached is what is happening.  The X axis coordinate dimensions are done automatically with auto jog.  The Y axis dimensions are manually placed ones from a few years ago.  I would love to detail parts like this on D size sheets, but I'm using B size paper.  The dimensions will fit if the jog is reduced.

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Re: What sets the jog distance for automatically placed coordinate dimensions with auto jog

[ Edited ]

Here is an other example where I modified the automatically placed/jogged coordinate dimensions.  I removed the jog from some dimensions and then manually reduced the spread in the string.  They will now fit - very crowded looking, but they will fit.  If I do anything to the string - add a dimension, move a dimension etc. - the original jog distance will re-spread the string out like in my above post.

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Here is a Jing video of what auto jog is doing with the spacing in the Y axis:

http://screencast.com/t/tN6zWATQX

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

Here is a Screencast video of auto-jog spreading out the string if I move a dimension:

http://screencast.com/t/PtmogX8rI

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

WOW....that's a whole lot of McNumberising!

I have nothing to offer, as I dont think I have ever had that many congested details to callout.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

With this many holes would a hole table be more appropriate?

Alternatively you should be able to drag each jog and text to make things clearer.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Beachcomber,

A hole table would probably work, but I'm not sure how our vendors would react.  Note in my video, that I dragged the dimensions to create a spread that fit in the space, but as soon as I touched them again, they went back to their original spread.  In the past, I manually added jogs and dragged the text to fit on the B size page.  This process is what led me to request improvements to the coordinate dimensioning tool  Hopefully there are some settings I can tweak.  If not, they will need to be added.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

The hole tables in SE are fantastic. Besides giving people a hole tables, If there is more than one "pattern" of holes that are the same, I tend to only  give one hole, then also list the pattern next to the starter hole in that pattern. This makes it the easiest for the punch/plasma/laser people to program the part.

Assigning letters to hole sizes also makes it easier to recognize what's going on.

My only gripe with hole tables is that the height of the table rows are fixed relative to the font size. So the tables take up about twice as much height in the drawin then should be required.

I would go crazy if I had to prgram more than a few parts using a drawing that looked like that.

I attached one of my simpler drawings that include a hole table.

Hello,

I tried a hole table today as an experiment, but I think I'll have to stick with coordinate dimensions for now.  The limitations of B size sheets causes a lot of headaches on my end, but it's what I have to work with.  I've submitted an IR and it was converted to an enhancement request ER Number 7238403.  

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1