What should be a simple modification

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I thought I had a pretty good grasp on what's required when modifying parts; apparently I was wrong.

I want to change the diameter of the base header.  As far as I can tell, all the dimensions are blue.  I relaxed all the live rules options, but I still can't make this simple change.

lr1.png

16 REPLIES

Re: What should be a simple modification

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

My only comment is that thinwalls are (still) problematic in synchronous. If you detach or delete the thinwall it's no problem to change the diameter.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I'm starting to think synchronous is not ready for prime time.  It's taking me more time to modify a part in synchronous than ordered and I don't even have that much experience in ordered.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

I deleted the thin wall and now I can make the diameter larger, but when I make it smaller, it disappears.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

The part is a little weird to me with features that seem unneeded but can't be deleted Maybe someone smarter than us will chime in.

Edit: and the fact that you can't reduce the diameter much without the disappearing act.

But I hear you about ordered/synchronous.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Maybe if I explain my reasoning, the features will make sense.

I tried to model the header just like the physical part.  We have different diameter pipes with different wall thicknesses.  The ends are capped and the thicknesses of the end caps also vary.  That's why I thin-walled both ends of the tube and then added the end caps.  I was hoping this would give me flexibility when modifying it for other sizes.

As I'm typing this, I think I should have added the end caps as separate bodies.  I think the end caps merged with the tube and that's why I can't delete them.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

OK. I figured there were end caps and, yes, I guess separate bodies would work better. Still not sure why the disappearing act.

Bruce Shand

MLombard
Retired

Here's your problem. There's an extra face on the inside of the tube. Synchronous wants clean topology. Once you get rid of that, things work well.

187.png

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@MLombard

Nice detective work!

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

This look like the kind of thing that would be perfect for the frame tool. You'll have cut lengths and corner options.