What the....huh? Creating new file strangeness

[ Edited ]

Okay, and this has only been today that this has occured, and it's both myself and my apprentice who this is happening to, but lets start with earlier, I was in an assembly and went to create a part in place, and when I told it what to name the part and hit okay it gave me an error, something about could not access document, make sure it's not part of a library or something. So then I attempt to do it again, and when the save dialogue pops up I see that the part that I'm wanting to make is already there. So I'm like "huh, I guess it was just a fluke and it actually DID create it" but just to be safe I use windows explorer and delete the file with that filename and go to create it again. Then I notice that the file is there, in the save dialogue box AGAIN. So I go back to windows explorer and yes indeed, there it is. So I delete it again, and I watch as the part returns before my very eyes. I delete it once more and it goes away. Then I go to create it in place again and everything works fine.

Now, my apprentice had the same sort of thing happen only he was trying to save a draft file he was making, when he hit to do the first save it said "Cannot access file". He goes to save again and he notices that the file he was trying to save was there. He deletes it, and saves again, same error. I had him hit record when this was happening, I'm going to attach the video. And here's the really weird thing.....I'm on maintenence pack 5, while I left him on MP4 because of the weirdness I encountered when I first installed that pack.

Then, just a minute ago I created a part file, went to save it and it gave me some "cannot access file" dialogue. Then I came here, began writing this, uploaded the video, and now I hit record on my machine and go to save it again, only this time no error, so I don't have that video saved. But it will happen again, I'm certain.

Any insight into what may be happening here?

UPDATE!!

Just happened again

Here is the video of it

(view in My Videos)

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"
17 REPLIES

Re: What the....huh? Creating new file strangeness

bump edit. The error dialogue at the very end reads "The part cannot be placed, make sure it is not a Feature Library part."

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Are you working off your local drive or a server ?

If a server, is it a Windows server or a NAS drive.

I ask because we have a NAS drive and are having weird problems similar to this - files not deleting, files being deleted completely or ending up in the recycle bin, even files reverting back to older versions.

We are currently trying to find the cause.

The other thing I notice from your video is that the file still showing in Windows Explorer has a size of 0kb

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

@beachcomber sounds like cache delay write issues.  Can you temporarily disable caching on your NAS? 

@uk_dave

Thanks for that - I've had a word with our IT guy and we will try it tonight.

Don't want to do it now while everyone is working.

Will keep you posted.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

The feature library thing is something I see once in a while, but if I close down SE, and reopen, it goes away. Makes me wonder if it's a network issue with the saving/not saving issue.

We are working off a file server. And yes I also noticed that the file has 0kb in it. It's a windows server. Windows server 2012 I believe but I'd have to double check.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

@nominus38 as a test I would also look at temporarily disabling caching on the server.

Also, do you have your anti-virus configured to exclude the Solid Edge file types?  If you do, do you have both the server and the clients configured this way?

I know that there have been no changes to the anti virus as of late, so I doubt that is the issue. One thing I do know is that day before yesterday I finally got the IT company we contract to get file indexing turned on for Solid Edge files, which the more that I think about it is probably where this issue is now arising from. I'm putting in an IR as we speak to see if we can figure out the culprit.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

@uk_dave

Is disabling caching on the server something I can do from my computer, like when I disabled caching of thumbnails, or is that a setting I would have to change on the server itself?

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"