What would you do?

[ Edited ]

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"
14 REPLIES

Re: What would you do? How to handle customers inadequate assemblies/models

Unfortunately you will either have to replace them in SE interactively or by using Design Manager and then hope for the best.  If your modified parts are spatially oriented the same and and were modified versions of what they sent you initially and the left/right modules are using the same or copied parts from what they sent you initially, then you may have a great degree of luck with relationships healing correctly on the replacements.  Don't forget about Assembly Relationship Manager Smiley Happy

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

I've never used the assembly relationships manager. So I'm reluctant to put too much faith in it's ability to handle this or in my ability to use it correctly. As to replacing the parts, I know that I was losing some relationships when dealing with these parts before, but I had more time and went through it slowly and carefully. The center modules I handled a couple of months ago now, and I have a hard time retaining memory as to what I did to correct some things, and what was and wasn't a problem with particular parts. I just wish this customer would quit half-a$$ing things then pushing it off on me to fix. They are also a fabricator, I don't get how this sort of thing could fly over there as they would have to fabricate things also. I guess they over commited when they took this job and needed us to take over much of  the responsibility on it to save their butts.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

[ Edited ]

Just a Hint in case you choose to go with the "all grounded" option.

Select all component and use the "rigid group" relationship.
It will ask you what to do with the existing relationships, answer "delete".
Then delete the just created "rigid group".
Select again all the parts and use the "ground" relationship.

P.S:
I would say that suppress existing relationship would be a try instead of delete them, but often when replacing parts they automaticcaly unsuppress and that potentially create a mess.

P.S.2: Instead of the rigid group you can use the wheel to move all the parts at the same time and it will ask what you want to do with the existing relationships. Again choose delete.

Does 'rigid group' work similar to 'rigid set' in the sketch environment? Like does it keep all parts holding the same relationship to one another while allowing the entire group to be moved/oriented at will? This is another function I have yet to try out. Not really sure when they added the rigid group command.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

nominus38 wrote:

Does 'rigid group' work similar to 'rigid set' in the sketch environment? Like does it keep all parts holding the same relationship to one another while allowing the entire group to be moved/oriented at will? This is another function I have yet to try out. Not really sure when they added the rigid group command.

Yes, it makes a group of occourences behave like a single part (relationships speaking).

Okay, now i've run into something I always knew would happen and that my lack of knowledge on the subject would be an issue. There's a few adjustable parts here. I'm really not sure how these are to be used. Are these intended to be a cut-to-length sort of thing? Because I have to make drawings for all of these parts, and it's got the same part number in all of these occurences, but different lengths in the assembly. When I make a drawing for these, it always has the same length, which is NOT the length it is in the assembly. So, yeah. I don't know what to do with these.

ST9
Windows 7 Professional
"You're doing it wrong"

Call John after lunch, he should be able to help you out.

[ Edited ]

What sort of parts are the adustable parts? I use adjustable parts for things like air cylinders that have a range of motion and act on mating parts. There is also a spring style of adjustable part that reacts to mating parts. I wouldn't use adjustable parts to represent cut lengths but I suppose you could.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

nominus38 wrote:

Okay, now i've run into something I always knew would happen and that my lack of knowledge on the subject would be an issue. There's a few adjustable parts here. I'm really not sure how these are to be used. Are these intended to be a cut-to-length sort of thing? Because I have to make drawings for all of these parts, and it's got the same part number in all of these occurences, but different lengths in the assembly. When I make a drawing for these, it always has the same length, which is NOT the length it is in the assembly. So, yeah. I don't know what to do with these.

In my opinion that's not a correct way to use an adjustable part.

The reason is that it change it's lenght and as you have discovered yet you can't dimension them outside of that assembly.