When creating a tube how can you split the part so it then can become flattened?

Hi All,

Im new to solid edge. Trying to self learn.

Ive created a tube and need to flatten so it can be rolled. Am i right in saying that the tube requires splitting before it can be rolled? If so how do i split the tube?

Many Thanks,

Darren

6 REPLIES

Re: When creating a tube how can you split the part so it then can become flattened?

Phenom
Phenom

When I need something like this, I draw an arc. Nearly closed in sheet metal:

tube.png

This tube can be flattend.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Re: When creating a tube how can you split the part so it then can become flattened?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Darren,

Further to normal [just as I would do this] solution offered by Joris, and because there is usually at least a couple of ways to accomplish tasks in Solid Edge, you could also draw a pizza segment [obviously, you'd need to dimension accordingly, to have a smaller gap than I have used for illustration] to one end, and use it as a cutout to the full length of the tube, then switch to "Ordered" mode > run "Convert to Sheet Metal" > "Flatten".  Done!

ST6_SyncPart_TubeUnfold.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Legend
Legend
Remember that synchronous sheet metal parts must start with a tab, that means they must have a flat area. So a round tube can only be done in ordered.
Using SE since V12, 2002

Thanks guys still having a couple of problems. Ive got my tube (3mm wall thickness) and cut out a 0.1mm pizza shape all the way through. Then switched over to sheet metal to flatten and this problem occurs. Please see image below.

Picture1.png

Phenom
Phenom

First of all, start in sheet metal, a sheet metal part is drawn in the sheet metal environment.

Than, the easiest way is draw a nearly closed arc when creating a "Contour Flange".

In my prior screenshot you can see all the steps I think.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge ST10 & AutoCAD 2018.1 user

Champion. Ive cracked it! Thanks