Solved! Go to solution

When placing assembly constraints, SE will grab dimensions of other constraints

I was placing a shoulder screw into a part using a mate and an axial align.  Once I placed the mate, I noticed that when looking for the shoulder surface to use as an element for the axial align, SE would grab the dimension that shows up for the mate.  Why would it ever be necessary to pick a dimension?  It has nothing to do with alignment faces.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
5 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by dcstaples (Community Manager)
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Re: When placing assembly constraints, SE will grab dimensions of other constraints

Kyle,

Selecting the dimension for a different relationship will put you into edit mode for that relationship, just as if you had selected it from the dropdown list. You can also disable the display of the dimensions by clearing the option on the Assemble Options dialog.

Hope this helps,

Greg

Re: When placing assembly constraints, SE will grab dimensions of other constraints

Greg,

Take a look at the Jing video.  Here is why grabbing the dimension while trying to located faces is a problem:

1.  I have placed the mate and am now in an axial constraint process.  If I make a mistake and grab the dimension showing up for the mate, SE will drop back to the mate.  This interrupts my process.

2.  When I'm in an axial constraint process and have already picked the shoulder screw, I'm clearly in that process - why would I ever want to see or pick a dimension belonging to another constraint.

3.  Finally, I'm in an axial constraint, have picked the shoulder screw, picked a cylindrical surface on the shoulder screw, picked the arm on the latch and am now searching for a hole in the latch to axially align the screw - again, the dimension from the mate is still visible and still seletcable.  If I pick it, I have just wiped out all of the previous steps for the axial align and have to start over.

The only time a dimension for a constraint should be visible is when I have interntionally pulled down the menu to the mate and have clear interntions of editing it.  Nothing from the mate should be cluttering up the view when trying to place another constraint.

http://screencast.com/t/v3DoBVgaiO

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author kjoiner
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

Kyle,

I don't disagree. That being said, that's why there is an option to turn them off.

Greg

Hi Greg,

Ah ha!  I see that option now.  That solves my problem.  Thanks!

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST9 MP1

No problem!