Where does Solid Edge save the settings for part lists in draft

PLM World Member Phenom PLM World Member Phenom
PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I have a saved setting that assigns and arranges the columns for parts lists called "STANDARD BOM".  I thought the setting was saved in the template.  We have another user who is creating an assembly drawing using the same template, but the preset does not show up in the pull down box.  Does Solid Edge save this preset to another location?

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1
10 REPLIES

Re: Where does Solid Edge save the settings for part lists in draft

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

...templates\reports\draftlist.txt

Edit: I guess I should say this is where parts list styles or settings are saved. We no longer have one called "standard bom" if we ever did.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for finding that!  I think this setting should be kept with the template so the presets restricted to the hard drive on one computer.  The preset saves me a lot of time rather than having to pick columns, name the columns and format the columns.  SE should tell you where it's saving the file.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, the settings for various things are scattered hither and yon. Kind of ridiculous.

I keep a list which you might find useful.

We keep most of them on a server location.

Default settings:

Custom hole settings, view scales, etc. are saved in ...\preferences\custom.xml
Custom BOM styles are saved in ...templates\reports\draftlist.txt
Custom callouts are in ...\templates\reports\draftcallout.txt
Custom weld symbols are in ...\templates\reports\draftweld.txt
Surface texture and feature controls don't seem savable for some reason even though they each have a save settings feature in their dialogs just like the other callouts.
Materials are in ...\preferences\material.mtl.
Global settings for SE to find most of these things via the file locations in SE options reside in \preferences\options.xml.
The holes database Excel files are in: C:\Program Files\Solid Edge ST8\Preferences\Holes

Custom menu themes:

C:\Users\%user%\AppData\Roaming\Unigraphics Solutions\Solid Edge\Version xxx\Customization

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Phenom

Bruce,

Thanks for the follow up with the path for all of the the files.  That is extremely helpful.  It also points out, as you mention, how scattered the files are on the drive.  I think I can copy the draftlist.txt file to the other computer, but how would a CAD administrator handle all of these files for a large number of users?  I think this is something that needs to be addressed by Solid Edge.  I'll do some checking to see if I can save these files to our server and point SE to them.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

PLM World Member Phenom

Hello,

I submitted IR 7697300 for this issue.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I put the ones I want shared by every user on selected server folders and modify options.xml (also in a server folder) to point to them. In file locations on each machine I set the Solid Edge Admin line to point to the options.xml file.

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Phenom

Bruce,

Are you modifying the options.xml file and adding rows using a text editor?  I've never done this before but it sounds like a solution.  Another example of Solid Edge making things more difficult than they should be.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

You could but I use SEAdmin.exe which is an app for editing that file. I don't remember if it installs with SE or I had to get it from the install disk.

Bruce Shand

PLM World Member Phenom

Hi Bruce,

I ran seadmin, but I did not see any way to add rows.

Kyle

Kyle Joiner
IPA LLC
ST10 MP1