Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Where to set the colors shown on surfaces of a cross section?

Legend
Legend

Hi,

cutting in assembly mode the construction, using View/Clip/Planes and see the different parts of different materials, cut by this plane. Where can I define the colors of these virtual cut-surfaces for the different materials?

best regards

Hans

6 REPLIES 6

Re: Where to set the colors shown on surfaces of a cross section?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

1-24-2018 3-01-05 PM.png

Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional
Solid Edge 2019 (SEEC) - Production
NX12 (Tc Integration)
Teamcenter 10.1.7

Re: Where to set the colors shown on surfaces of a cross section?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi there @Hans11,

I don't think you can set differing colours.....because in the Assembly environment, there is no "Part Painter" to alter individual faces. I want this also, and I'm sure this has been asked for by users, for many years.

You can only alter the default clipping face colour, which affects all cut faces, as the same.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Betreff: Where to set the colors shown on surfaces of a cross section?

Hi @Hans11

try a PMI section instead.

This should keep the original part colors for section faces too.

regards
Wolfgang

Legend
Legend

Hi Matt and Wolfgang,

thank You for showing me the two ways of showing a cross-section through an assembly of bodies.

1. using  View / Set Planes   to define bounding planes, parallel to the coordinate system, clipping the body (suggested by Matt)
  2. using  PMI / Section   to define a cut-away-geometry    (suggested by Wolfgang)

With method 1., View / Set Planes   I choose one of the planes of the coordinate system and afterwards chose a second plane parallel to it, dynamically choosing the offset by mouse action. I can toggle the section on and off in the menu View/Clip/On. The colors on the clipped faces are defined in combination by Settings/Options/View/DynamicClipping and in case of opacity set below 100% by the shining through of the colors set in Simulation/Study/MaterialTable.

se27.jpg

With method 2., from the PMI / Section I'm guided into the Home/Draw menu, to define a geometry of any shape, which bounds the removed material. The colors and the cut faces of the bodies are as preciously defined in the Simulation/Study/MaterialTable menu. The generated geometry of removal is stored in  the PathFinder in a separate node called Section Views. Any number of defined removal shapes are stored in this folder with individual names and can be activated or deactivated by ticking the folder or items in it. This is a quite versatile option to generate multiple cross-sections.

se28.jpg

Both methods seem to have overlapping capabilities

If the body just should be clipped along planes both methods can do this.

Method 1. has slightly less steps, a slightly lower graphic quality and only the last choice of planes is stored until it is overwritten by new plane locations or by calling a new session.

Method 2. is much more versatile, as any geometry of material removal can be defined and stored in the PathFinder.

But finally I feel

• method 1. is obsolete and can be replaced by method 2.
  • method 2. was expected by me to be found in the View menu instead the PMI menu

Is my short synopsis of what I learned correct?

best regards

Hans

Is my short synopsis of what I learned correct?

best regards

Hans

I think so, @Hans11 though I wouldn't call method 1 obsolete. It's handy for quick studies of your models. Method 2 is more precise and versatile and can also be employed in drafts.

Good post!

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
Clipping planes (Method 1 in this example) are not retained from one CAD session to the next, and don't add to the assembly's file size. PMI Section (Method 2 in this example) will copy part information to the assembly, and save it in the assembly file. This will make the assembly file size increase. As stated, multiple PMI Sections can be created, and applied. However, saving multiple sections will further increase assembly file size.

I use Clipping planes for any quick inspection, and use PMI Section when a persistent section needs to be used in multiple CAD sessions, or used in a draft. If a PMI Section is no longer needed, I delete it to keep file size down. It isn't much a performance difference, but every little bit helps.

Jason