Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which tools do you use to draw Conic Curves ?

Siemens Experimenter Siemens Experimenter
Siemens Experimenter

Hello Edgers,

Solid Edge development would like to know which tools do you use to draw conic curves?

We would like to know the following –

• What/where is the application of conic curves in your industry ?
  • Which conic curve is used more Parabola/Hyperbola/Ellipse ?
  • Are asymmetric curves used? (Start point to shoulder and endpoint to shoulder(shoulder is the highest point of the curve) are different lengths
  • Which features would you like to use conic curve with - example extrude, revolve, sweep ?
  • Which of the following inputs are known when creating the curve –
    • start point
    • end point
    • focal point – if yes, is it used for positioning / constraining the curve?
    • vertex
    • shoulder (Image – conic curve attached in mail)
    • rho value – what is the value that is frequently used?
    • anything else
  • Which of the above point is most frequently used?
  • Which of these would you use to edit the curve?
    • start point
    • end point
    • focal point – if yes, is it used for positioning/constraining the curve?
    • Vertex
    • Shoulder (highest point on the curve)
    • rho value – what is the value that is frequently used?
    • anything else
  • Do you import conic curves to Solid Edge.

Please reply here or you may drop me an email at mehta.rutuja@siemens.com with your responses.

Thanks,

Rutuja

9 REPLIES 9

Betreff: Which tools do you use to draw Conic Curves ?

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

Hi @Rutuja_Mehta 

the question, which is coming in mind when reading Your post is:

"What will I need such a curve for?"

All Conic Curves in reality are sections of a cone in 3D.

So why should I create it manually as 3D curve?

I do not see a big need, neither immedeately after reading the question nor after thiniking about a minute.

TBH I think there are more issues on the list for solving than having conicle curves, isn't it?

regards
Wolfgang

Betreff: Which tools do you use to draw Conic Curves ?

Phenom
Phenom

@Rutuja_Mehta  I'm excited that you're hear asking for input so I hate to report that I'm with @hawcad on this.  I just don't see that I would use it much.  I'm trying to think when I would need it, but I understand maybe others will have a need and hope they chime in.  I see the ellipse sketch element, but had to open a sketch to check that it was there, I just don't use it much.

Other thoughts:

1.  I haven't needed it yet, but I do read threads where people are driving curves from excel or some other table.  Maybe those topics would guide what is needed.  If they are using a table for the same type of task repeatedly then maybe that type of curve as a sketch element would be handy.
  2. I use the helix and spiral curves frequently, I find it unfortunate that they are hidden in the surfacing toolbar by default, but once a person knows where to look it's ok.  For I while I thought it would be in the 3d sketch environment.  Pretty much any spring or wireform that has spiral or helix to it I start out with the "Helical Curve" command, then build other sketches from that, derive a curve, then surface, then thicken.  I've found it to be the most robust when updating/editing.
  3. I frequently wish I could just get an involute curve from an arc or circle.  I beleive it would be best if it were a generated sketch element, but being a feature like the helical curve would have it's benefits too.  I would use the involute curve more than conic sections. 

Again, that's just based on my limited usage patterns.

->If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.
->If you have started a thread and a response solves the problem or answers the question you asked, then please mark it as solution. Note, there can be multiple solutions for a thread.

Re: Which tools do you use to draw Conic Curves ?

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Hi,

I understand your question, but I don't think that this is the good direction. I think we need a "general feature" not special feature to draw a parabola, an other special feature to draw a hyperbola and etc...

The general feature name is Equation driven curve.
All of our competitors has...

Guys, this feature gives more flexibility to customers against parabola, hyperbola drawing features.

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

@Imics Assuming you mean "Equation Driven Curve"...

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Phenom
@KennyG, yes I fixed it! Thnx
Imics

@Imics I think your edit broke your link.  I like the idea you proposed.  Include formulas from a drop down for standard shapes (like conics) and provide the ability to locate the generated sketch relative to other geometry.

Ken
Production: SE 2019 MP8, Testing: SE 2020
http://Grundey.blogspot.com

Gears Phenom

@KennyG 2nd thnx. You read my thoughts.

Imics

Gears Phenom

Hi @Rutuja_Mehta ,

First of all, I really appreciate that you and developer team need for our feedbacks. We've already discussed about and you can collect lots of useful infos:

link

BR,

Imics

Phenom
Phenom
Exactly what I was thinking about when I mentioned driven curves. Also, good point about user macros and add-ins. If there's an add in that is shared with the community and it is popular, then just incorporate it, buy the IP whatever. Remember when polygon was a VB macro add-in because it wasn't an option in sketch commands? Without knowledge of that, polygons were drawn manually in Solid Edge.

->If you cannot find a Solid Edge setting, confirm you have a file open of the type that will be affected.
->If you have started a thread and a response solves the problem or answers the question you asked, then please mark it as solution. Note, there can be multiple solutions for a thread.