Re: Why Synchronous still doesn't work for me

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

David,

I second the request (if you can/want to) to post the Ordered version of the part.  Might give us a little more flexibility in working with an "Integrated" (hybrid) model.

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

Pioneer
Pioneer

Kevin,

As I mentioned to Bob, the hole problem you noticed has been introduced during the synchronous conversion process (along with other strange changes you can see in Bob's video). In the ordered version all the holes are holes and all the symmetry is perfect.

Best regards, David

Pioneer
Pioneer

The face in red should not move at all.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Kevin, Sorry to keep sending all these messages.

I'm out of the office all day tomorrow so won't be able to send anything but I'll let you have the original ordered model on Friday.

I would really like to know why the "Solution Manager" doesn't offer any useful information at all - what is it supposed to do?

PS What we really need is to be able to synchronously edit a history based model without destroying the history tree - that would be the best of all worlds.

Cheers,  David

Experimenter
Experimenter

Well, I wrote the spec for Solution Manager, so I'll try and field this question.

Solution manager is designed to offer the best feedback we can about what is happening during the model during a solve.

When in solution manager mode, we paint the faces that where *not* identified as part of the "found" relationships "clear" to make them non-distracting so you can focus on what *is* identified as related.

The rest of the information we "found" during the configure is painted on the remaining faces that Live Rules identified as being associated.  The legend for the color code is to the right of the screen.

Hovering over any of the active live rule buttons at the bottom, will graphically give you feedback as to the nature of the relationship.  For example if coplanar is on, hoving over coplaner will highlight the common plane . . . in a similar manner, hovering over concentric will highlight the common axis.

Faces can be either Left Mouse Button click to "isolate/reconnect" a face from consideration in the solve, or RMB click to see the list of all relationships to that face. 

Locked dimensions found by the solve can be easily relaxed.

I suspect most of this wouldn't be quite as jarring if you weren't tripping over the rounds problem directly out of the gate. 

You mentioned the "cryptic" solution manager messages . . . if you want point out which ones are causing confusion, I could probably clear them up for you . . . maybe even get them less cryptic in future releases.  We are doing some enhancements to SM so, your opinions matter.

I was looking for a video which might help . . . and found my Solution Manager talk from SEU this year . . . it might be helpful . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w2JcpnIPlpM

Hope this helps . . . lemme know what I can help clear up.

Best wishes,
C.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Well Chris,

This is part of my first message;

"By the time I recorded this video there were no locked dimensions anywhere in the model, every relationship in Live Rules has been switched off and still nothing at all moves in any direction at all. Worse, the Solution Manager makes no attempt to provide any useful information - just a notice telling me to unlock dimensions and relax live rules. Evidently it's not smart enough to know there are no locked dimensions nor does it know there are no relationship rules in force. More importantly, it's also not smart enough to know what the actual problems are either."

If, as you suggest, some of the rounds are causing the problem I'd expect that the Solution Manager should highlight them so I can do something about it.Instead it issues a message telling me to relax locked dimensions (when there aren't any) and relax relationships (when there aren't any). The message is inaccurate, irrelevant and absolutely no help at all.

That's what I meant by a cryptic message - the Solution Manager didn't help at all because what I needed was to know what was preventing the move I wanted to do - reading your specification it seems like it should be doing that - shouldn't it?

Cheers,  David

Phenom
Phenom

Hi,

This is a typical "cast" model. I suggest to do rounds in Ordered mode. The basic part can be in synch, but rounds shuold be in Ordered mode.

Here is a video, how you can edit this part:

Sometimes you have to do modifying in two steps. It depends on geometry (rounds and others)...

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Well done, Imre!

Kevin

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

MLombard
Retired

Excellent job, Imre. I'll probably learn a little Hungarian along the way!

Thanks again!

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Unfortunately, we haven't yet developed a way to programatically determine the rounds are specifically causing the problem.
All we know is that there is a failure, and the involved faces found by the configure. 

Hybrid is the best approach for cast parts with complex blends.  As soon as we figure out how to determine that condition programatically, I'll do what I can to make that an error message.

C.