Why Won't Mates Update?

I'm finding that I have to delete and redo my relations.

For example I have a Range Mate that's set 0 to 3mm, I click on the part, then click on Assemble (mates) to edit it and change the 3mm to 9mm and right click. The range stays at 0-3mm when I move the part. If I open Assemble the dimension has reverted to 3mm. 

I also had a fixed mate (two surfaces) and on one of the parts I changed a dimension perpendicular to the mated faces, so I didn't change the faces just their position. When I went back into the assembly the faces weren't mated and I couldn't get them to update. 

These are the most recent examples but there seem to be a lot of instances where I have to recreate parts, dimensions or mates because they won't update. I'm working solely in Synchronous.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES

Re: Why Won't Mates Update?

Perhaps it's your process.  This is not typical and we are certainly not seeing issues like that.  I suggest you post an example of your issue as a video as it is much more useful.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

[ Edited ]

Okay, thanks, I'll figure out how to do that and upload a vid. I just did some mates and they acted properly, didn't do anything differently. 

Edit: Same issue, and I'm not sure how much a video would show as there's not much to see, I edit a Part and then Switch Windows to the Assembly and the parts are separated by the change made. If I click on the Part and then Assemble the mate is still in the Assemble information ribbon and the two faces will highlight if I select it.

I've tried changing the type of mate and it has no effect. The only solution to date is to delete the mate and create a new one. 

Attached is an image after clicking back to the assembly after modifying a part. In this case I moved the cut out that the black bit fits into. The cutout moved, but the black part stayed where it was. There are three mates; top faces, back of cutout and back of black part, side of cutout and small face of black part (where there is now a gap).

Hi there,

Did you by chance, when making your edit to the part, make a new cut away to the same face that the original mate was on?

Does deleting and placing a new mate there not succeed in doing what you need?

A video that included your entire Solid Edge application really would give an indication of what else might be causing issues...even with your great detailed desciption.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

I didn't change the face, just moved it. I can redo the mates, just don't like having to recreate them all the time. Sometimes they will update if I go to move the part, sometimes not. 

OS was re-installed and trying to get new key for video editor, so no video yet. 

Garnet wrote:

I didn't change the face, just moved it. I can redo the mates, just don't like having to recreate them all the time. Sometimes they will update if I go to move the part, sometimes not. 

OS was re-installed and trying to get new key for video editor, so no video yet. 

Yeah, that'd be frustrating for sure....hope there is a "quick fix" for you.

What version of Solid Edge are you on?, as SE has it's own video capture module now.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

The mate issue that drive me craze is the flip. Say you are doing 3 planer mates. I have to apply the first, get out of asembly, go flip that mate (assuming there is enough information to decide if the flip is right). then do the next mate. get out of asembly again, flip. then do the last mate. The last mate I typically have to go set the value to 0. Then if I find my first or second mate is flipped wrong, I have to delete any mates afterwards, flip it, then re-add the subsiquent mates.

Hi 12GAGE

I think you can use the Tab key to flip your mates on the fly without leaving the assemble command.

Laurenj.

Hi Sean, SE6. I'll look into the video capture.

Just hit the record button in the lower right of the application (red dot) and you will be on your way to posting videos...

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development