Why can't I revolve this triangular profile 360 degrees in ST6? 359.99 works, but not 360.

Experimenter
Experimenter

Please see picture to replicate. Revolve is being performed about the y axis. Thanks for the help, I am a new user coming from PTC Creo Elements/Direct 18.1.360revolve_fail_SEST6.JPG

3 REPLIES

If you're trying to revolve this about the end of the tri...

MLombard
Retired

If you're trying to revolve this about the end of the triangle, you are getting a zero thickness error. The 3D shape at the pointy end of the triangle is just a single point thick, with air on both sides of the point. This is geometrically something that CAD systems generally hate. To make this work, you would have to pull the point of the triangle away from the axis a slight amount (which would make a shape with a hole in the middle or make it a 4 sided shape where there is a straight line coincident with the axis (which would give the solid some thickness at the center).

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Yes, Matt has this right -- there is no "material" right...

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Yes, Matt has this right -- there is no "material" right at the vertex that lies on the coordinate system. It is not physically possible to create such a part in the real world either. What are you trying to do -- is this just a step along the way to a final result? Or just playing around?

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Re: If you're trying to revolve this about the end of the tri...

Experimenter
Experimenter
Mr. Lombard: Thanks for the tip, that makes sense, and after posting my question and thinking about it some, I actually guessed that might have something to do with the error.

Dan: No, this wasn't a step toward an intended result. I was simply playing around with beginner stuff and decided to revolve a profile.

Thanks again, I appreciate the quick response and helpfulness.