Solved! Go to solution

Why can't I save my .par file as a .step file?

[ Edited ]

I'm completely new to Solid Edge and CAD in general so please bear with me if this is an incredibly easy question.

I've created a part by stiching together multiple surfaces, but when I try to export it to STEP format I get the following error: "This model contains no bodies, an output file will not be generated."

I've tried using the "Unite Bodies" button but it doesn't seem to make a difference. I realize that I should've started by clicking the miniscule "Add body" button before adding surfaces and such but is there no way to fix this mistake now?

I've attached the .par file in question if that can help discover what I did wrong. Thank you in advance!

6 REPLIES
Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author jwi
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

First off, the issue you are having is because you have a...

First off, the issue you are having is because you have a construction surface model, not a solid body.  That said, the default Options for the STEP translator is not to save any constructions so thus you have nothing to save.

To fix, either turn your model into a solid by patching gaps/open faces and stiching together, or turn on the option to Export sheets (constructions).

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Re: First off, the issue you are having is because you have a...

So the Unite Bodies command won't help me? I tried patching gaps and stitching all surfaces but I still can't export it. It still doesn't think it's a body even though the only feature in my model now is named "solid_body_17" after I ran unite bodies on it.

What is the difference between a construction surface model and a solid body and why does ST5 still don't think I have a body? Could it have to do with that I am running an academic version of Solid Edge? I attached a screenshot to the original question if that would help.

It is not because you have an academic version as there is no limitations with it other than the parts cannot be opened in a commercial version. Try using the "Show unstitched edges" command and check that all faces are stitched together,

Thanks,
Ken

I tried using the "Show Non-stiched edges" command and it didn't show any unstitched edges. Is it because I've already run the "Unite bodies" command on it, since it shows up on the left hand side as a "solid body"? I've started to suspect that one problem could be that the body I created could contain some "internal" surface, such as in screenshot 59 I just uploaded. But if I use the "Recover bodies" command and try to remove that surface, Solid Edge gives me the error "The selected items could not be deleted", shown in screenshot 61.

I noticed you are in the Simulation tab... You do not want to use this for general modeling, only for prepping an analysis model. Use the commands found on the Home and Surfacing tabs for this. If you have stitched all edges, then you may try using the Union command found under the Multi-Body "Add Body" button in the Solids section of the Home tab (or use Command Finder). This will properly "unite" them into a single contiguous body.

Thanks,
Ken

Hi, I tried that as well, but when that didn't work either I decided to just redo everything, and remembering to press the miniscule add body command before starting. Then all the tips you gave me worked like a charm. So thank you for your patience and let's hope someone googling for this in the future will learn from my mistake and your tips. Cheers!