Highlighted

Why can't one have two collinear lines in sheetmetal?

Builder
Builder

Subject says it all.

7 REPLIES

Re: Why can't one have two collinear lines in sheetmetal?

Phenom
Phenom

First, I saw that you posted this in the Pet Peeves thread as well. Try to post in just one place- it keeps answers from being scattered and it helps others when they search through past issues.

Second- do you have a video or example of this? I have no idea what the problem is, because I can think of no scenario where I could not have collinear lines- and I work in sheet metal all day long.

-Dylan Gondyke

Builder
Builder

I figured it wouldn't get a reply in pet peeves. I cannot upload videos for some reason. In the ordered enviroment say we want to mak a simple L flange with three lines. It cannot be done. It gives an error that states one cannot have two connected collinear lines in a drawing for the flange to be made.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Hi there,

Your question isn't as clear as you might think....is this still in reference to the cutouts in that folded bracket in an earlier post, or for new sheet metal geometry?

There are two main input methods for creating sheet metal models [Tab type & Profile type] that have specific requirements to complete the design intent.....and with the likes of cutouts, they need clearly defined parameters to use, without "overlapping" geometry.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Phenom
Phenom

I tried to make a guess here with a profile as below which has two collinear lines that make an L shape profile.

01.png

Using the Contour Flange command on it throws an error as below:

02.png

Kreider_guy, if you are unable to post videos, post some images.

~Tushar

www.SurfAndCode.in

Builder
Builder

You are correct Tushar.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Tushar wrote:

01.png

@Kreider_guy ,

As per the image @Tushar made here,.....delete the "RED" portion, and extend [or use trim corner] so complete this geometry to the input requirements to create sheet metal profiles.

Why would anybody want many segments to describe the same thing as one could?

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP2] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

Builder
Builder

I came across this when I was editing a flange. I made it too short. So I simply drew another line. I thought it would work until I got that error. I then discovered I had to stretch the existing line.