Why dimensions in a 2D Ordered model temporary disappears?

Hi,

I have created a 2D model with dimensions in Ordered environment. I have two ambiguities about it:

1- When I reopen the file, or when I use some commannds, the dimensions disappear and they dont come back until I double-click on Sketch under the Pathfinder. Then after awhile it may go away again.

2- The color of the model has changed to black. Why? and what does it mean?

I have attached my file.

Your advice is appreciated.

5 REPLIES

Re: Why dimensions in a 2D Ordered model temporary disappears?

Sketch dimensions are only visible while in the edit mode for the Sketch.

If the Relationship Colors setting on the Inspect tab is on, the sketch will turn black to tell you it is fully contrained.

I cannot open your PAR ile as I suspect it may be a Student Version created file...

Ken Grundey
Production: ST9 MP6
Testing: ST10

Hi Ken

Thank you very much for your reply. Yes, you are right, I am using a student version.

I chose Sketch command in Ordered, but did not show the dimensions.

Also, I have attached a picture file of a simple model that I wanted to fully constrain it by dimensions. Although it seems to be fully defined to me (any new dimensions that I add will turn blue (driven), so to me it means that it is already fully-constrained), and although I have turned on Relationshipp Color, it did not turn black. Am I missing something?

Thank you.

You sketch is not fully contrained as it is not tied to the global coordinate system, so essentially it can float around in X-Y space.  Use relationships or dimensions to tie it to the coordinate system.

Ken Grundey

Ken,

Great point!. I added a Lock relationship to one keypoint and it made the model black. But I expected the geometry to be fully constrained by adding two locks not one, because in my understanding, lock relationship constrains only translation and not rotation (I had tested this in other things). Is that not true?

The model that I had attached in the previous posting had all the dimensions, but still was not fully-constrained. So, I am still vague about the purpose of fully-constraining a model in Solid Edge. Is it just for the sake of making sure that all the dimensions of the model are fully specified, or something else, such as for analyzing the system? 

Thank you.

A Lock will lock an element from any translation including rotation.  Locking a point locks it from moving in X-Y but obviously a point can't rotate so that is moot.  The rest of the elements will not rotate because they are fixed by the Horizontal/Vertical relationships on them.

The point of fully constraining sketches in the Ordered environment is due to the fact that they are often located on faces of a part or related to other part geometry with dimensions/relationships.  Being that these part faces/geometry can be dynamic and move due to other changes can and will cause the sketch to move and recalculate.  A sketch that is not fully constrained may recalculate in an unpredictable way, so the number one rule in Ordered modeling for most CAD systems is fully define your sketches.  In fact some systems would require you to fully define the sketch before it allowed you to exit the sketch command.

Ken Grundey