Why do these two components rotate together when I add motor to one component?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I am trying the CAM command where the follower suppose to stay stable and follow the path of the pedal below. but when I add the motor to the part below, they all rotate together. I chose the follower and the surface of the pedal but they start to rotate together

(view in My Videos)

7 REPLIES

Re: Why do these two components rotate together when I add motor to one component?

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

My guess is because the follower has no other contraints on it to hold it in place.  You probably need and Axial Align on the pin hole to a coordinate system or sketch to allow it to hinge or a Planar Align/Mate to a plane to hold it and allow it to slide back and forth with the cam.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP10
Testing: ST10 MP1

Re: Why do these two components rotate together when I add motor to one component?

@Aeroeng,  as @Grundey suggests you simply do not have enough constraints in your assembly.

You need to position the cam follower...   note that constraing to planes or sketchs can sometimes be helpful in situations like this where you are not dealing with the all other geometry

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Pioneer
Pioneer
I am nearly getting there regarding to following the path. now they don't spin together but still doesn't do what I want. I am probably doing alignment wrongly

feel free to repost where you are now stuck,  manywilling folk here.

and if you want to zip up you files and upload them many will work in your file and repost or at least can then show you how they did what you desire.

just try to explain the desired motion.

keep at it... 

===================================================
Matt Johnson
Solid Edge Certified Professional (ST7 & ST8)
Solid Edge ST9 (SEEC) - Production
NX10 (Tc Integration) Pre-Production Testing
Teamcenter 10.1.6

Pioneer
Pioneer

My desired motion is that the follower should make a contact with the rotating component. So I manage to get closer to it but it suddenly goes below the rotating component then goes up again and follow the curvature. 

(view in My Videos)

Legend
Legend

@Aeroeng

I have problems with that sometimes.  I'm guessing it has to do with how the calcuations are made, I've had decent success by trying different options when defining the relation.  There is a drop down that you can select "Cam" or "Path" type relation also make sure you have selected a complete loop.  Sometimes the follower will snap around to the other side of a profile/surface if it reaches the end similar to what you are showing.  In the menu for the relation there is a drop down that you can select edge, edge chain, face, face chain, or switch to selecting the follower first.  I always have to try it several different ways.  I have only used the cam/path relation a handfull of times and once I get it to work the way I want I move on instead of memorizing how I got it to work.  Smiley Embarassed  It is a handy function and once set up right SE calculates it correctly.

Those who know me question the assigned user rank.

Pioneer
Pioneer

I used Path command too. it worked. but follower was making a deeper contact with the rotating pedal, so some of the follower was dipped inside the component, and also back side was touching the rotating component as well. 

However, I figured out that I had to choose the universal coordinate system and aligned it with the followers coordinate system so  they don't rotate together. So in this video, it does a very good jump until it crashes. now I have to figure out how to solve this