Why does a stl part not display in Draft?

hey guys,

I have  vendor part that im adding into my assembly.

its an stl. 

i need the part to show in my draft of the assembly which it does not.

i just need it visible. i can see it correctly in the part file itself (RMB>show all> surfaces)

but when i try and create a drawing of the assembly the stl. part does not appear.

it also shows in the properties as  "hidden" 

any suggestions?.Capture.PNG

3 REPLIES

Re: Why does a stl part not display in Draft?

STL and many other file formats are surfaces only. Not solids. In ST9 the default files have surface display turned off. In both the model and in draft, you have to go turn surface display on.

[ Edited ]

Hi there @precisionmounting,

Currently ".STL" is a "reference only" file type [new tools to handle facet models, coming in ST10]....so no handling of it further than viewing in the 3D modelling environment....and draft settings don't recognise it, not even as surface [construction] data.

One work around [if you don't have too many items] is to save the ".STL" to the ".IFC" format [pretty much the ONLY file type to allow it]....then open and save to overwrite the same SE part file. You will then have a viewable model for use in drafting, however, it will be heavily faceted. This will very evident if you have "shaded with edges" as your view display. [which is my standard]

2017-02-09.png

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

Hi,

STL is a facet body, not more... @SeanCresswell's solution works well, I like it! Thnx my friend.

You can show stl file in draft directly, if you use "Create draft quality drawing views" option... Your drawing view will not be so perfect (line width...), but very quick. Don't convert it to HQDV! Smiley Wink

Solid Edge ST10 brings something new solution on this area... Yes! 

Here is a video:

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/