Why does the Inquire Element function displays a Cone Height for a Cylinder?

Phenom
Phenom

I was looking at some surface to determine if I had matched surfces between two parts. As I was using the Inquire Element function I selected a surface that is clearly a cylinder and the Information window tells me that it is a cylinder. So if it is a cylinder why am I getting a value titled "Cone Height"? When I select a cone I get the same information, which I would expect- COne Height. What would be nice to have is some more additional information on the cone. Like angle, base diameter and top diameter.

Anyway, I was confused by the Cone Height being reported and assumed that the face was either a conical face at one point or is currently a conical face. I would much rather see just "Height".

2 REPLIES

Maybe because a cylinder is just a cone with both ends th...

Phenom
Phenom

Maybe because a cylinder is just a cone with both ends the same diameter.?

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Re: Maybe because a cylinder is just a cone with both ends th...

Phenom
Phenom
LOL. Well I've never seen a cylinder defined that way before. Have you? Technically, a cone and cylinder share a axial height parameter but a cone includes an angle parameter. In every example I've seen the height is just called height- never cone height.

I’m not too concerned, but like my original comment. It is confusing to see the height label as “Cone height”.

Sent from Windows Mail