Why is my Assembly SW, and why can't I find Revision Manager?

Pioneer
Pioneer

I'm trying to save a copy of an assembly I created in Solid Edge with a new name and all new part names (or prefix), much like I used to using Pack and Go in Solidworks. 

I created the assembly from a number of parts I made in Solid Edge and some that I made in Solidworks and then converted to Solid Edge. When I right click on the assembly file in Windows file manager I don't get an 'Open with Revision Manager' option like I'm told in various youtube instructions. 

Also, when I look at the files in the Solid Edge file manager (and why doesn't SE just use the Windows file manager like SW does?) and list all the files as Details, it says the Assembly I created in Solid Edge is a Solidworks Assembly Document. 

Why? And why?

Thanks.

5 REPLIES

Re: Why is my Assembly SW, and why can't I find Revision Manager?

Do you use the options.xml?
-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Siemens Phenom Siemens Phenom
Siemens Phenom

Do you have a way to get into "View and Markup"?  From the Start menu, All Programs, Solid Edge STx:  is View and Markup in your list?  If you can get to this, under the File Open folder icon is a triangle/pull down arrow.  You can access Revision Manager from here.

Kevin Grayson
Solid Edge Technical Consultant
kevin.grayson@siemens.com

The reason why I ask if you use the Solid Edge Admin (aka option.xml) is that there is an option to disable Revision Manager. Perhaps this is the reason why you can't use Revision Manager?

Aks the keyuser and see if this option is selected?

Options - Disable Revision Manager.png

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Pioneer
Pioneer

I don't know what options.xml is, so I'll say no. 

I checked the properties of a SE assembly and SW was set as the default opening program

(not sure why it was that way), changed it to SE and can now select Open with Revision Manager, seems to have changed it for all the other assemblies as well. 

Any tips for using Revision Manager? Within Revision Manager there is an icon called Revision Manager but it is greyed out.

Also what is View and Markup? I can see it as an option as well.

Thanks!

Could you upload screen shots and perhaps the models?
-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10