Window resize

Genius
Genius

I know others have mentioned it, but just updated to ST7, and still coming across windows that are too small to view, so there are scroll bars, but you are unable to resize even though there is plenty of screen size available.

The most recent one is the options window for saving as flat. Why can I not resize it???? I doubt anyone is using 14" monitors any more.

It is these little things that are just so frustrating. Taken in isolation (like the material table being unable to sort....) they are not such an issue, but as a whole, it is death by a thousand cuts.

I have been using SE for over a decade and I have seen plenty of new things come along, but unless they are really well thought out, they cannot be adopted for everyday use, because for everyday use things must be bullet proof, or close to it. 

In terms of programming resources, little things like allowing a window resize, or sorting a list by the data you can see in the list (such as material name) instead of something you can't see in the list (assume creation date or something) are not hard or time consuming, compared to more major changes.

For those of you who were around for ST1, Bob Mileti's example of the "Sharpness Set" dropdown sub menu as being ridiculous may ring a bell. For all the heat that generated many years ago, it is both alarming, yet paradoxically unsurprising, that it has not changed still in ST7.....

Software will never be perfect, and it would be a waste of time trying to make it so, but my observation is that SE seems to be content with leaving many simple frustrating UI elements in place.

Peter.

9 REPLIES

Re: Window resize

Experimenter
Experimenter

Very good point about simple UI issues. You do get used to these quirks, but it is frustrating!

On the plus side, I am absolutely loving the keyshot inclusion!

Phenom
Phenom

I'm using a 12" screen on my Surface Pro 3! Actaully, I do have 21" monitor that I extend the display. But when I'm on the run it's a 12" screen. I'm actually quite impressed with the device and how well it runs. I also run "another software" on the SP3 and it just sucks my RAM dry and continually gives me warnings with its "Resource Manager" tool warning. But that is getting off topic.

I do agree that users should have the ability to adjust the window sizes. Side scrolling just isn't an option available on mice (that I've found) and requires extra mousing and clicks. Siemens can get a win-win with this one. Reduces clicks, reduce mousing and makes the users happy! Smiley Wink

Ryan

Good point, I see this everyday in SE and always thought that it would be fixed in a new version or MP. Never happened.

The main problem is that if we make a call like this in EU we get a IR back, and how many times do these problems get fixed. So I stopped doing that and just continue with my work.
-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Experimenter
Experimenter

Yep, I too have (almost) given up on this.

I was once told by tech that one of these quirks was part of an "enhanced feature", so SE wasn't going to do anything about it... seriously put me off support for a long time.

As a user, I know this package can be a lot more smoother to use than it currenlty is, and it can do so not by adding more features, but looking at how UI is implemented.

This is what I'm hearing for years, the first comments about a better interface and no new features are there since ST2.

-------
Daniël Schuiling
Solid Edge ST7
Teamcenter 10

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

Daniel, getting an IR back from GTAC is a standard process no matter where in the world you are.  It's what happens afterwards that makes the difference.  If you ask for something to be changed, then it is converted to an ER, if it is a bug it is converted to a PR.  If you are simply asking a question or do not ask that something gets changed, then the IR is simply closed with a closure code.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Phenom
Phenom

The Edit Links window that cannot be resized is another example of these half-implemented UI elements, and one that personally drives me NUTS. These are what, 15 minute changes for a programmer? Fix them!

The revision manager in ST7 has a new bug where, under certain circumstances, when using Rename, the New Filename field only accepts clicks at the very first character position to give the cell focus so you can change things. Which means you then need to scroll with the arrows or know the Ctrl+End, Ctrl+Home shortcuts to get through your long links to get to the actual file name to change. 

I posted a thread a few weeks ago of some UI flow-breakers.... just in sketching!

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Forum/Sketching-Pet-Peeves/m-p/279701

-Dylan Gondyke

Genius
Genius
Dylan,

I personally have asked for that to be done many versions ago. Is it that hard? I don't want to sound nuts, but it makes you think are they hopeless, or are their hands tied by some secret plan to annoy users...

Peter.

Phenom
Phenom

side scroll is available on some mice. I have used it an a Logitech G700. The center button/wheel also goes side to side.