Solved! Go to solution

Windows 7 Support?

Any indication when SE will stop pushing updates/upgrades for Win7? For example, ST8 will not be available on Win7? I digress, wouldn't it be great if the software was available on Linux Smiley Happy.

8 REPLIES

Re: Windows 7 Support?

Hi there,

Windows, or rather Microsoft, is it's own animal and make their own update schedule,....and as for applications such as Solid Edge, they must match THEIR phase out process for operating systems, to match Microsoft to remain current, while also leverage the latest OS technologies. One such example is the limiting of 64bit ONLY support from ST7.....and recently the announcement of Window-10.

Personally, I'm glad Seimens don't multi-OS platform code, as that would steal focus of the developers even more so than it does now, in order to fix OS related issues. Rather than adding, or more importantly, FIXING, the tools that we all love, and that continue to make CAD fun.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP5] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Thanks for the reply. Windows 7 support has officailly ended last month with the exception of security updates, etc. I was just wondering if this would promt SE not pushing updates/upgrades to Win7. I agree with you to some point about your comment on multi os software. Ultimately though I disagree. If professional grade cad was more readily avaiable for linux, like NX, a lot of companies would be switching to linux and saving loads of money. Its always nice to have cross platform software as I am constantly working between windows and linux. In fact, the only reason I use windows is just for SE. There is no use I have for windows. It is too buggy and unstable unless a lot of money is spent to maintain it. Linux is a better platform for CAD.

Solution
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kreider_guy
‎08-26-2015 04:32 AM

[ Edited ]

Solid Edge ST8 will continue to support Windows 7 (64-bit).

Solid Edge typically stops certifying new releases against an operating system shortly after Microsoft drops mainstream support for it. AlthoughtMicrosoft dropped mainstream support for Windows 7 in January 2015, Solid Edge ST8 will continue to support Windows 7 due to the high popularity of this operating system.

Regards,

Laura Watson

Solid Edge Release Manager

Director of Technical Operations

[ Edited ]

Kreider_guy wrote:

If professional grade cad was more readily avaiable for linux, like NX, a lot of companies would be switching to linux and saving loads of money. ....Linux is a better platform for CAD.

Hmmm....I take your point, but not sure I agree.

What CAD operator these days, does ONLY that on a dedicated machine, that is not able to do other things.

Almost ALL companies that I deal with, and make use of 3D CAD, also make those staff do business tasks, and that requires them to use software that is almost always something Windows based. I know my small team knows what I expect of them. [as unrealistic as they may think that is.... Robot LOL]

I have never used Linux as an operating system, unless you count my Android phone, so can't really form an opinion for/against it as a BETTER platfor for CAD. I just know I like being able MANY different tasks on the one machine.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP5] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

You hit the nail on the head. The only reason we use Windows is the applications availble for it. That is how windows stays the dominant OS, but this is changing. I can do a lot more things in Linux than I can do in windows, some pretty cool things. It does lack professional software like Word, but there are some pretty good open source alternatives. Today with the cloud, most software is available online. So only a browser is needed. Linux would be a better platform because it is more stable than windows, practically no viruses and its free. There are tons of free software for linux. Now if a handful of application was pushed to linux windows would be in big trouble. I think every engineer should tinker with Linux. It is such a useful OS and it can be pretty fun Smiley Happy.

The catch-22 is if Linux got popular, the 'practically no viruses' benefit would go away.

-Dylan Gondyke

[ Edited ]

That is not true. Look at apple os. It is similar to linux but closed source and proprietary and it is far less likely to catch a virus than Win. Look at your phone. It is more than likely Linux powered. Linux is very popular. You just do not see it. It is the os of choice for super computers, phones, routers, servers and many other items you come into contact with on a daily basis. I believe I had one small virus for linux in the ten years I have been using it and I installed it by accident. It was a minor virus. Pop ups would appear saying,"what are you **bleep**ing stupid" haha pretty funny actually. Linux is all around a safer, more stable os. It is not perfect by any means but it is solid. I always end up catching a virus with windows one way or another. The only windows machine I have no windows virus on so far is my new dell T3610 workstation. That is only because a bunch of money is spent on antivirus and maintenance.

Like I said. Linux is not perfect. It sometimes is not user friendly. Terminal (command prompt) is a big part of the learning curve. For engineers it is perfect, I think. Highly customizeable and can be tinkered with and if something gets screwed up just install Linux again or the backup. The best part its free and open source.