Windows Updates and Solid Edge

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

I hope this is posted to the right forum. Maybe someone here can give me some advice as to the following issue we were experiencing.

It seems that SEST9 with MP2 is very sensitive to (a) specific Windows update(s) to such an extent that SE will crash fairly easily within a few minutes when working with large models.

This issue is also encountered when using SEST5 with MP11, as well as Tekla Structures V21.1 with SP4, but not as severe as it takes a bit longer for these applications to crash. On the odd occasion AutoCAD users reported stability issues when working with reference files (xrefs). This even once happened when a user referenced a file within Excel, but I could not reproduce this, but same symptoms.

Our drawing office environment make use of various CAD packages where we bring all these various models together within SE. Tekla and SE make use of references models. (By this I mean an assembly with occurrences (parts and sub-assemblies), and these have their own occurrences, and so forth. While Tekla make use of reference DWG or STP models at a single level.)

Therefore whenever any application makes use of external referenced (linked) files there is significant risk that the application may crash. The crash seems to occur within the “ntdll.dll” module.

It does not matter if the model files are located on a local or network drive, crashes either way.

Our CAD workstations are a mix bag of HP Z series machines running Win7x64.

The only remedy I have currently is to run a script (as attached) that removes a whole set of Windows updates. These scripts rolls back the “ntdll.dll” module to version major 7601 minor 18933 or lower. When this happens the result is very good stability where Solid Edge hardly crashes anymore. Trying to identify the faulting Windows update(s) will be a very time consuming task. And reporting this issue to Microsoft is futile.

I have attached "checkNTDLL.exe" that reports the ntdll.dll version, if anyone would care to use this.

Therefore:

1. Are anyone else experiencing stability issues when using SE (large assemblies) on Win7x64 with up to date Windows Updates?
  2. Are anyone experiencing any stability issues with SE (large assemblies) when using Win10x64 with current updates?

In summary this means our Win7x64 workstations are no longer current when it comes to Windows updates, as these updates result in stability issues with our various CAD software.

24 REPLIES

Re: Windows Updates and Solid Edge

Phenom
Phenom

@pieter_nienaber

We were using Win7 x64 + ST7, then moved to Win10 + ST7 and recently Win10 + ST9. In each case we've not had any issues like you are talking about and have just taken all windows updates as they come with no concern as to them working with SE.

We have very large assemblies, tens of thousands of parts in many assembly levels. 

I'm sorry I don't have much help for you, other than my hunch is that it is nothing to do with a windows-SE compatibility issue and is perhaps other 3rd party software or settings. Or given that larger assemblies require more RAM, maybe there's an issue there?

Genius
Genius

Hi,

I had all kinds of crashing issues with ST9 mp1 on my computer that was upgraded from windows 7 to windows 10, no matter what I did ST9 would crash after about 5 minutes of being open even without any part, asm or dft loaded. The problem didn't occure on ST7 oddly enough but other programs have been having issues such as Maya, Nifskope, and photoshop cs2 who all randomly crashed and sometimes refused to open unless I rebooted the computer. Sick of it and seeing others with issues online I formatted the computer and reinstalled windows 10 fresh and let it patch up completely before installing anything. After all the groundwork drivers and such were updated I installed ST9 mp1 and all is well, I will give mp2 a shot this weekend and see how it works.

Creator
Creator

Hi Pieter

It's Tony Mazonowicz

I have ST9 MP2 running on a Windows 10 machine, if you like I could test one of your assemblies on it.

Let me know

tony@mazcad.com

Edging since V18

Phenom
Phenom

We are still using ST7 and W7, but are trialling ST9 on W10.

No problems so far but not really had much chance to test it.

I had problems on my home PC with W10 upgrade and eventually decided on a clean install.

Even then the PC would hang during install.

The problem turned out to be a graphics driver for onboard graphics. I have a NVidia K2000 installed so I disabled the onboard.

That solved the install problem and everything seemed to work fine, but then system repeatedly hung after a while. Again it was linked to the onboard graphics driver that W10 was installing and updating.

After much digging on the internet I finally disabled the updates.

Not sure if this is relevant to anyone, but who knows.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Phenom
Phenom

Sorry to say but ST9 on Windows 10 machines is a PIA due to so many crashes. I waited until MP2 was installed in the hope things were fixed, but it's now worse than ever. I'm losing  hours a day due to this problem. Between having to "backup constantly" which saves me some time, but the trade-off is any new changes I just made overwrite (by deletion) earlier designwork, that keeps me from going baack to prior points in the design.

I'm sure it's Microsoft Windows 10 causing most of this, but it still makes working with SE not very reliable.

Bob

Creator
Creator

I've had some crashing issues with ST9 on Win10 but they went away when I stopped using imported data.

I remodelled a part from scratch which had been imported from another program and that cured it.

Perhaps everyone could try making a copy of an existing troublesome assembly, start removing parts until the crashing stops.

T

Edging since V18

Phenom
Phenom

MazCAD wrote:

I've had some crashing issues with ST9 on Win10 but they went away when I stopped using imported data.

I remodelled a part from scratch which had been imported from another program and that cured it.

Perhaps everyone could try making a copy of an existing troublesome assembly, start removing parts until the crashing stops.

T

That's an interesting observation. I not only use many "Imported Parts" but also do a lot of "RWC" (Replace with Copy) Edits, I find that this also overwhelms ST9. I usually can tell when doing a lot of changes like this, that my system forgets to update. So for example, if I move a New "RWC" Part I sometimes has difficulty finding points, and lines, or even when successful the image on the screen is off from where the points or lines are.

I wish I had hours in the day to sort this out, but I'm under a huge deadline tthat's slippying due to Solid Edge bad behavior. Like I said I'm losing hours every day.  I've been here these past few months and almost every weekend at 3:30AM until dark... and it's getting old, when the tools that are suppose to be helping you are your worse enemy.

Something is terribly wrong with the Graphics Cards and updating the memory of where stuff is.

Bob

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@BobMileti

Thanks for your feedback.

You are currently under a lot of pressure to get work done. However if you have time and a second CAD workstation available, then maybe you can apply Win7x64 onto it with no updates. Or if updates are applied use the script I have included above to remove unwanted updates. I am curious if this action will result in a stable modelling environment for you. If so then this feedback will be very valuable to me, and likely for you as well as you will be able get your work done quicker with much less frustration.

What you are experiencing now is exactly what I need to avoid. I will be flayed literally if I deploy ST9 into our three drawing offices and have the same issues as you. This just cannot happen; the financial implications will be huge.

Good luck.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

@Alex_H

Thanks Alex. I'll fully patch up one of my old test workstations with Win7x64 on it and give SEST9 w/ MP2 a go on it this week and hopefully all will be well.

Please tell me what Windows .NET framework you have installed. And what NVidia drivers are you using.