Wire Harness SEConductors file

I started to work on my first harness assembly. I laid a few wires then realized i needed a brown wire set. So i opened he SEConductors.txt file and added brown. Saved the file and restarted SE. Alot of my wires are now black.  how do i get those wires allready laid down to change to the desired color? If i opwn the wire , there are called out with the correct color set "10-gage Solid Copper Brown" but show up as black. This is true for the red wire set as well. how doi crrect this?

Nathan M. Gardner

https://www.etsy.com/people/NathanMGardner

Be sure to check out my work!!
Made in Maine Wood Carvings

6 REPLIES

Nathan,  The color in SEConductors.txt comes from the las...

Nathan,  The color in SEConductors.txt comes from the last value in the txt file. Each attribute/value is separated by semicolons.  If you go back and open the txt file look at the top comments and it will document what each value represents.  Last number is Color.  What you may have added was simply a description but not what the color RGB value is.  For brown, set the last value on the row to 78694.  When you create a wire based on this value it will show as brown.  I can explain more on how you get the value of 78694 but for now this will work.

Thanks

Ronnie Conerly

Solid Edge Planning Team

Thanks
Ronnie Conerly
Product Manager, Solid Edge

Re: Nathan, The color in SEConductors.txt comes from the las...

Hi Ronnie,

Can you explain how to calculate the values for the colours?

Thank,

Lukas

Take the standard RGB colour code where R = Red, G= Green, and B = Blue,

And to calculate the long integer for it you use the formula:

LongColour = R + (G * 256) + (B * 65536)

Therefore:

Red [RGB 255, 0, 0] -> 255 + (0 * 256) + (0 * 65536) = 255

Green [RGB 0, 255, 0] -> 0 + (255 * 256) + (0 * 65536) = 65280

Blue [RGB 0, 0, 255] -> 0 + (0 * 256) + (255 * 65536) = 16711680

Black [RGB 0, 0, 0] -> 0 + (0 * 256) + (0 * 65536) = 0

White [RGB 255, 255, 255] -> 255 + (255 * 256) + (255 * 65536) = 16777215

And so on...

If you are not familiar with standard RGB colours, there are plenty of online resources available such as http://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/RGB_Color.htm

[ Edited ]

Thanks for the info about color conversion from 'under the hood' @uk_dave

Based on this I attempted to make a small utility to convert any RGB color to a Solid Edge number and also found that the ColorTranslator.ToWin32 did the same.

Download the program here.

~Tushar Suradkar

Solid Edge C u s t o m  T a b l e s

I assume most companies create their own version of SEConductors.txt.
Is there anyone out there that have a metric version (mm wires) that they could share?
Siemens EMEA GTAC Support

That is correct Ulf, most companies do as they have their standard wires they use. On your point of mm be aware that the SEConductors.txt uses meters as the database units so any wires of units mm will need to be converted to meters when entered into the text file.
Thanks
Ronnie Conerly
Product Manager, Solid Edge