Wish SE had a balloon style.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

I wish SE had balloon styles.

We frequently use balloons which have, for example, "%{Document Number|G}" property in the upper and quantity in the lower. We also use a couple of other balloon shapes and contents.

You can have a balloon style saved with a BOM style so that it puts in the balloon style like those in the attached imageballoon1.JPG if you do autoballoon. If you don't use autoballoon you have to construct or copy it if available. It would be helpful to us if you could assign balloon configurations like these in balloon styles.

For now I'm adding balloon types to the library but they come in as blocks so you have the extra step of unblocking, then attaching.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP10 - Insight - Win10 - K4200
33 REPLIES

Re: Wish SE had a balloon style.

Phenom
Phenom

That's true' This is missing from SE! Smiley Wink

BR,

Imics
http://solidedgest.wordpress.com/

Phenom
Phenom

We've submitted the following as enhancement requests for balloons to meet UK rail Industry standards -

I would suggest another ER for ballon styles - it might just push the developers into looking at some major improvements to ballooning.

1. The ability to use a mixture of numbers and letters for the Item Number - these would then automatically be assigned to balloons.

This option should also be available when setting item numbers in an assembly (maintain item Numbers).

It would also require changes in sorting within a parts list – normally in a parts list item Z would be followed by item AA, but sorting on these values places item AA after item A.

I envisage something like the definition of view and datum plane ordering.

OR

2. The ability for balloons to use an over-ride value from the Item Number column - so if we set 'Allow Overrides' on a cell in the item number column the new value would be assigned to balloons for that item.

OR

3. The ability to use a different column from the parts list as the balloon value.

Additionally we would also like to see the following enhancements

• The ability to link a balloon to a non-graphic part, and also to an item inserted manually into a parts list. This should also allow a balloon to be linked to the top level assembly as in ‘Show Top Level Assembly’ in parts list options. AutoDesk Inventor presents the user with a list of items and allows selection from this list. The balloon is then linked to that item in the parts list.
  • Re-ordering of a parts list by Move Up/Move Down buttons or by drag/drop.
  • Control over balloon prefix/suffix font size.

They have been allocated the following numbers

ER Number 7504360  - Enhancement to Parts Lists to support Rail Industry Standards

ER Number 2041849 - Change the font size of Prefix and Suffix in a balloon text

ER Number 4803077 - Link balloon to non-graphic part in Parts List

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@beachcomber, Yes, good idea and I was thinking of basically adding my post here to an ER.

Edit: Done. IR 7533910

Edit: now an ER

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Am i completely missing something here?

Before we had the 'Reports' folder and pre-defined settings in callouts etc you just put the setup one in a block then save it in the library, this can be done easily with Balloons. 

Would be nice to have drop down box but when you using stuff from the library anyway on drawings its not a problem dragging it in, unblocking and assigning to a part. 

ST8 MP11 / ST9 MP02

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@ChrisMorgan, Apparently you are missing something. I mentioned the library block option in the original post. It's just not a very good option IMO. With styles you can also change existing balloons. Try that with the block library.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Skimmed that line. Oops, i should not question your skills Bruce. Smiley Sad

Seems SE Development do miss some things that would be useful, while creating stuff that is good, but time better spent sorting other things like this. 

ST8 MP11 / ST9 MP02

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor
"Oops, i should not question your skills Bruce."
I don't think that's a valid conclusion. Always question. Smiley Happy
Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

You can already do this ...

(view in My Videos)

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@AlexBergeron, If you reread my original post you will see that I talked about autoballooning and why it's not a great solution.

Bruce Shand