Workflow without insight

Hello, 

I'm after a bit of advice really,

I create small one off machines for use in our own company

We have two SE licenses but most of the work is split so all of the files are mainly just kept local for speed.

I create a part with a draft file, then the part is machined in-house, I would like to keep track of released and completed parts.

I like the released and in-work status options as they change the icon and can be easliy seen via the tree. it would allow me to see at a glance which parts are outstanding.

However as we work in house we dont really use the revision element correctly so would be a pain to use the revision manager for changing part revisons, I would like to change the part back to in-work and then just reprint with the changes, to save messing with the assy. ( i know this is not the correct way of doing things)

I have tried to create a VB script for changing the parts back from released to available but keep hitting read only errors.

I have a small app that i use to generate part numbers for each build, i would like to also keep track of the parts that have draft files printed / machined, at present this is being done manually outside of SE with an excel sheet.

How do you keep things organised without an insight type system.

Kev

7 REPLIES

Re: Workflow without insight

Kevin,

I'll let others chime in on their DM (Data management) preferences.... 

But I wanted to let you know that you can change status thru the API...

If you want help doing that I suggest posting to the Solid Edge Developer forum  

http://community.plm.automation.siemens.com/t5/Solid-Edge-Developer-Forum/bd-p/SEDeveloperForum

You could have a look here

http://barhamsoftware.com/SE_Tools/index.htm

There is a staus changer on that page.

I think its quite old but still works on ST6.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

[ Edited ]

Not sure why you want to release files if you don't want to safeguard the old ones and have new rev versions when a change occurs. If it's just to get the icon in the pathfinder you could use one of the temporary status' and think of it as released (in review for instance) and change the file(s) to read only if you want to "lock" it until you want to change it.

Beachcomber's suggestion would likely work as well. I've used some of those Barham programs, like property remapper, successfully.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

If you aren't using Insight or Teamcenter you will get in a real mess if you start releasing and revising models - its very difficult to manage all the where used.

Releasing and revising drawings (ie. keeping old revision of draft file) is relatively simple to manage, but pretty pointless as they are out of date when the models are changed.

When issued we create a pdf of the drawing.

We don't keep old issues of drawings, except in pdf format.

We don't lock drawings either - which I think is a big mistake but no-one here wants to listen to that argument.

Without Insight or Teamcenter I would do exactly what you are thinking - leave the models unlocked, but lock the draft files when completed and issued.

Then unlock the draft file for the new revision.

HP Z420 16GB RAM
Quadro K4000
ST7 MP10 on Windows 7 Pro 64.

beachcomber wrote:

We don't keep old issues of drawings, except in pdf format.

DITTO.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST10 [MP0] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

[ Edited ]

Using PDFs is pretty common but in a managed system drafts are rev controlled and I gathered he was referring to more than just drafts -"I would like to change the part back to in-work and then just reprint with the changes" - and that he could perhaps write protect parts and assemblies until ready for changes.

Bruce Shand
ST9 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

[ Edited ]

Hello,

Thank you for the answers, As I only work on one large assembly at a time, its easy to keep track of the revisions.

Each assembly model may have 300+ sub parts, I usually create all the parts in a sub assy and then just print them ready for machining, there are no real controls of released parts or revisions as when its printed the part is machined, 

if I need to make changes I get a curse from the machinist and the part is remachined from the new drawing.

we are only a small group and everything is internal..

However I like to create sub assemblies concurrently so may be working on several sub assemblies within the main assembly. 

I was after an easy way of knowing have I actually completed an individual part of the sub assembly or is it still awaiting printing / machining.  

sort of a this part is finished and locked, but I dont need the hassle of revisions if the part changes.

Edit.

I dont need to keep old revisions of drawings or parts as once the part is machined and fitted it just forms part of the assembly.

I have found it complicated trying to keep revisions of parts organised with the revision manager

I will try to reuse some of the code to change the status, the links show how to do it out of SE, when I tried to do it while the part is open in SE it still has the read-only status.

Thanks for your help

Kev