Working with NX files that have multiple solid bodies.

In NX, you have the ability to define "reference sets" at the piece part level. These references sets are then used to display geometry in any other assembly that the part is added to.

When it comes to weldments and machined bodies NX allows you to "extract" a solid body at a specific time in the history-tree. You can then continue to make the rest of your features on the original solid to create your "machined" body.

In this case we have two reference sets: "Stock" which contains the extracted body without features and "Model" which contains your machined solid.

When I open my SE file (which is linked to the NX file) I get two two construction bodies and two part Copy features.

How do manage the display of these bodies in the SE parts. When I open the SE parts I see that I don't get the option define configurations at the part level. So, I have a two part question. Is there a similar function in SE and if not, how do I control which solid body/part copy gets shown at the assembly level?

5 REPLIES

Re: Working with NX files that have multiple solid bodies.

[ Edited ]

If you haven't already, you may wish to post this in the Solid Edge forum as well since it sounds like the solution, if there is one, will be found on the SE side of the ledger.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA

Yep, I did. I just informed Matt that he shouldn't have moved it here! ;-)

This is from memory, but pretty sure its right...

Right click on the body in Pathfinder and choose "Toggle to Design Body" or something like that. Those that are design bodies show up on ASM. Those that are construction do not.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

This is from memory, but pretty sure its right...   Right...

Spoiler

This is from memory, but pretty sure its right...

Right click on the body in Pathfinder and choose "Toggle to Design Body" or something like that. Those that are design bodies show up on ASM. Those that are construction do not.

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Re: This is from memory, but pretty sure its right...   Right...

This kinda worked but it only works at one level. I also, for some unknown reason to me, had to switch off the Surface display setting.
I'll try posting a movie clip out of NX to show what I am talking about. It is a bit complicated to explain unless you really know how to use Reference Sets in NX.