Writing flat pattern bend inromation

Is there a way to have Solid Edge write the bend information on the flat pattern export to DXf file?  I want it to have actual text on the DXF saying Bend Up 90 or Bend Down 56.  Thoughts?  Possible future enchancement? 

6 REPLIES

Re: Writing flat pattern bend inromation

Hi there,

Have you looked at the "Save As Flat" - "Options" for this? Does that do enough for what you need? If you need the actual text on the bend lines, then I would use "Draw In View" to force 1:1 scale & file name carry over, placing the callout text as required [on a new layer for easier filtering later] and save it to DXF while still inside that view. [NOTE: use auto hide layer, if this flat pattern is also to be used in your normal draft layout]

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Limited
Solid Edge ST9 [MP8] Classic [x2 seats]
Windows 10

Hey Sean,

What does clicking on "write bend data" exactly do? I am using a not so common cad program called anvil to view the dxf files. I can see no difference between a file with that option selected and a file with it selected. Do I need autocad to interpret the file?

Use a text editor to see the difference with the option enabled/disabled.

The receiving system has to know how to read the bend data in order for you to be able to "see" it.

See the Solid Edge help documentation of more information on this:

http://docs.plm.automation.siemens.com/tdoc/se/108/help/#uid:saveasflat5d

As @uk_dave says, you can interogate the file with a text editor. [warning....it's reads like "The Matrix"]

It basically writes meta data, that sometimes needs to be tweaked to match the recieving system's requirements, typically the press off-line software.

The attached file is created with the "Draw in View" method....which probably serves you better.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10

Sean,

How do you get the bend info to show up?  Is it a setting?  I can insert the flat pattern, but I am not seeing any options on getting the bend data to show up via text.

Thank you

Paul

[ Edited ]

Hi Paul,

It is basically the same as when you place callout text to retrieve the bend information from the model, you are just doing it inside the view. [right click on the view - select "Draw in View"]

I can share my draft file if you'd like, but I'm on ST8.

Sean Cresswell
Windows 10