Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: You opinion

Honored Contributor
Honored Contributor

No reason to teach the 2D only method other than the cost of teaching. AutoCAD is cheaper then a mid range modeler.

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Although I am clearly biased, I strongly suggest you teach 2D using Solid Edge. In fact, you cant use it as the basis for teaching 3D and you are well on your way. For example this would be a great flow:

1. Start in Draft. Show how to create a 2D drawing of a simple cube or L or something. Show how you have to "derive" each view from the other. Then add dimensions.

2. Now ask them to make a change to make it longer or shorter. Show them how you have to adjust all the views to do this.

3. Now, show them the same workflow in 3D. They already know how to place lines and dimensions. They just need to learn extrude and they are going to be onto creating the drawing in no time.

4. Now make the change -- show how easy it is to do with 3D -- all the updates are automatic.

5. Then progress to more advanced 3D modeling.

DS

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

MLombard
Retired

You're going to have to teach 2D concepts in the course of teaching 3D. 2D is in many ways more difficult than 3D because you have to do the visualization in your head, and then figure out what that looks like projected on a plane.

Plus, you have to teach drawings, and kids should know how to make drawings without a solid model.

Retired Community Manager for Solid Edge. This account is no longer active.

Creator
Creator

Thanks for you input.  I guess I need to clarify.  I am certainly going to teach 2D, it is should I teach AutoCad then 3D or should I not teach autocad and simply teach the 2D capabilitiy of the 3d software...

Creator
Creator

I do not think you are bias at all.  I guess I need to clarify.  I am certainly going to teach 2D, it is should I teach AutoCad then 3D or should I not teach autocad and simply use the 2D capabilitiy of the 3d software.  In my experience, the latter was most used.

Highlighted

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

Do you know you can get Solid Edge ($6000) for free for all your students? And there are tutorials suited to High School specifically?

https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/en_us/academic/resources/solid-edge/educators/

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Creator
Creator

When i took the program over, I immediately adopted NX & Solid Edge as the mechanical tools.  The course books are great.  I live in Oklahoma City and SIEMENS PLM has a good presence here

Phenom
Phenom

We still use AutoCAD.

Each VAR/Reseller (4 passed here) of SE told us to leave Autocad, SE 2D could do the job.

After I gave them a bit of our work, all 4 sead we indeed still need autocad.

It all depends of the job.

...........................................................................................................
Solid Edge 2019 & AutoCAD 2020 user