You opinion

[ Edited ]

I have worked in design for many years but am now a HS teacher in CAD.  There are some questions that only working professionals, not academics, can answer.  In my experience with mechanical design, using 2D is extremely minimal.  Limited to simple applications such as wiring or control diagrams.  My previous employers also did not even care if you knew applications like AutoCad, it was the PLM and 3D application(s) that mattered.  In my own opinion, I do not think that I need to teach AutoCad, only the 2D capability with the 3D application.  I would rather keep students' focus on Solid Edge / NX.

Can you tell me your opinion on it?   

17 REPLIES

Re: You opinion

There are many different skill sets.

Modeling

Drafting

Reverse engineering

Data base & File management

Computer setup & Management

Programming & Macro creation

The problem is, to be good at "CAD" you have to know all of them.

Drafting is the easiest to teach as a starting point.

Thank you for your input.  Knowing drafting is certainly important and this is a foundation class.  I am on the fence on if I it is more beneficial to teach 2D drafting using the functions of Solid Edge/NX and not even teach Autocad.

I would second that motion (i.e. skip AutoCAD) since you can learn the same commands in Solid Edge, and typically any drafting that would be done...in the mechanical world at least...would be accomplished via associative views from the models.

FYI, the past two companies I've worked for continue to create 2D drawings for everything modeled.  Maybe someday this will change, but not for now.

2D drafting skils are no longer an isolated. That is now just a step to document 3D models.

Everybody expects 3D models. 

Solid Edge, Solid Works, and Inventor are the staples of industry today.

2D documents can be stamped by a PE, emailed, and stored for leagal issues. 3D has a long way to go for that end of things.

How do you hand a 3D file to a welder on a shop floor with no PC close?

Yeah and he can't light his smoke with one either

[ Edited ]

Thanks again.  I have used most PLM systems, Teamcenter being the most recent.  The company policy was to have a 3D model with drawing created in the 3D application; DXF was generated for sheetmetal parts.  A PDF was also auto-generated by Teamcenter which was printed out along with the workorder for those in manufacturing.  Welding always got a printed drawing and CNC was on network, so their got a printed drawing along with the 3D model out of Teamcenter.  Department supervisors delegated the work and distributed data using their own processes.

The 2D capability of the 3D application was used, AutoCad was not used at all.

And as far as 2D Drafting goes, you still need to teach the basics of standards and proper documentation methods especially dimensioning and tolerancing.  We get a lot of folks who have or can easily grasp the ability to create 2D geometry but do not have very good knowledge of how/when to use special views or the knowledge of how to properly dimension/tolerance a view.  2D is still the staple of manufacturing/quality/procurement in the majority of companies.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

[ Edited ]

Thanks for your input.  2D drafting is definitely the staple as you said and it is important for students to know.  I definitely tattoo that into their heads.  On the fence on whether to teach autocad for 2D in mechanical design or to focus on using the 2D capability of the 3D application.