Cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Betreff: add more bends to rounded piece of sheet metal

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Ok that looks easy enough.  The fun part is going to get me funky countour up top added back to that faceted face.  This is a doozy of a project. ill post a screenshot of what the customer wants

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
alright, im makeing a drawing of this flat pattern now with all the bends in it. I cannot get all the bends top populate in a bend table.

Gears Esteemed Contributor Gears Esteemed Contributor
Gears Esteemed Contributor

@SeanCresswell wrote:

@lifofadrafter,

As @hawcad shows, using lofted flange is easiest way to achieve this, the key "option" to use here is the "Triangulation" bending method, which allows the model to look smooth......alternatively, I have used a trimmed polygon sketch to get a faceted contour flange in sheet metal parts.

@SeanCresswell  Maybe you and/or @hawcad could expand on the "trimmed polygon sketch" idea? Lost me.

Bruce Shand
SE2019 MP8 - Insight - Win10 - K4200

Hi @bshand

just see the video what my idea was when reading @SeanCresswell hint for using a trimmed polygone

(view in My Videos)

The only issue I have seen is, that - I first tried to have a 100 corner polygon the performance is going down extremely.

So for me the use of a lofted flange seems to be easier and much more performant

regards
Wolfgang

@hawcad, Thanks for the video. Makes sense now.

Bruce Shand

Re: add more bends to rounded piece of sheet metal

Gears Phenom Gears Phenom
Gears Phenom

Use lofted flange instead of contour flange. That way you can choose to switch over to step bending it if you want to, or you can roll it. You can decide later, which is awesome in my opinion. That's the only thing I really like about triangulation on lofted flanges instead of using a polygon in place of the circle.

Solid Edge 2019
Windows 7 Professional
Nvidia K2200 & Intel Xeon
"You're doing it wrong"

Re: add more bends to rounded piece of sheet metal

@nominus38 wrote:

Use lofted flange instead of contour flange. That way you can choose to switch over to step bending it if you want to, or you can roll it. You can decide later, which is awesome in my opinion. That's the only thing I really like about triangulation on lofted flanges instead of using a polygon in place of the circle.

Agreed.....however, I do wish there was a BETTER way to display "EITHER" bending method, for both the 3D part, and therefore the draft of it.

What I mean by that, is that the user is forced to display the step fold lines in the 3D model, in order to have them display in the draft. I wish we didn't have to display them in 3D, is all.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

@bshand, yep that video from our talented @hawcad pretty much covers it.....further though, in some cases, such as Octagonal profiled cones, I've used a lofted flange, by the same polygon sketched method, and so long as the polygon segment count is the same, it is pretty simple to manufacture from.

Sean Cresswell
Design Manager Streetscape Ltd
Solid Edge 2019 [MP8] Classic [x3 Seats - Cloud Enabled]
Windows 10 - Quadro P2000

@SeanCresswell, Thanks, I'm going to have to mess with that as a possibility for our transitions when I get time.

Bruce Shand

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

now help me get all of the bends to ppopulate in a bend table, it isnt working