.asm to .ifc to revit. gives strange surface lines

Experimenter
Experimenter

I want to convert a .asm file into a revit file, normally i would insert all files as .ifc into revit. But when exporting from SolidEdge to ifc it creates weird surface lines, as shown below:

Naamloos.png

Does someone know a solution? Or am i doing something wrong i don’t know about?

-------

edit: 13-07-2017

I found that exporting true IFC was not the ideal solution, so instead I exported it to a ACIS document (*.sat) document, and imported that to Revit. this solution has worked better for me, thanks for the replies!

-------
Geert H
Solid Edge ST9

7 REPLIES

Re: .asm to .ifc to revit. gives strange surface lines

Solution Partner Phenom Solution Partner Phenom
Solution Partner Phenom
Hello Geert,
I think there is nothing wrong with translation.
Maybe someone will have a better explanation, but IMHO when translating to IFC format you basically translate SE files to faceted files (STL for example). After you import IFC file to REVIT, you see the edges of facets (triangles).

Ota

Experimenter
Experimenter

thanks for the fast reply,

if i understand what you’re saying the export from ifc to revit fails, and not from SolidEdge to ifc? then what would be the solution, using another format?

Solution Partner Phenom
You're welcome.

I think nothing fails. If you import IFC (facets) to REVIT, you get facets.
I do not know what other formats can REVIT read. Basically in SE the 3D geometry is defined as BREP (solids with material/mass inside). When you export SE file as IFC you get STL (facets with no material inside, only "outer surface" defined by facets).

Ota

Experimenter
Experimenter

hmm strange, normally a ifc exists out of solids? So can i conclude this is a lack in solidEdge?

Solution Partner Phenom

Well, I am not sure if IFC format can be exported as solids from SE. I only know that SE can export IFC as facets.

You can find some information about IFC format fere: https://www.lifewire.com/ifc-file-2621820
Maybe someone else on this forum has more informations about this.

Ota

Esteemed Contributor
Esteemed Contributor

@geert_h  In Solid Edge, change the IFC export option "IFC Version" to IFC4.  The default is IFC2x3 and it does not support BREPs but rather only tessellated output.  IFC4 does support BREPs and thus will provide you with what you are after.

Thanks,
Ken

Production: ST9 MP7
Testing: ST10

Solution Partner Phenom
Good point. I am aware about another IFC version, but I did not know that provides BREP result - good to know.

Ota