automaticaly terminate the last finished command in ordered env.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi there!

I have a very annoying thing with solid edge and would like to know if there is someone else sharing my problem...

After finishing a command solid edge restarts the same command again. i.e. after placing and finishing a hole or a plane i am again at the beginning of the command. I often have to click on the select command to go on with my work because without,i.e., i can not select a feature in the edgebar to modify it. This is terrible...

But not in the synchronous environment - there is the workflow optimized. After creating a feature like a hole, plane, extrude, ... the command automaticly will be terminated. And thats good!

Why not also in the ordered environment?!?

Can somebody comprehend this?

Regards,
Carsten Oestmann

16 REPLIES

Re: automaticaly terminate the last finished command in ordered env.

Pioneer
Pioneer

Carsen,

What version and maintenace pack are you using?

Dave

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
Hi Rubberneck!

We are on ST6 MP12...
I figured out the same behavior in ST7.

regards,
Carsten

Phenom
Phenom

Hi Carsten,

As a workaround, I'd suggest using the radial menu, its just a drag in the NW direction and soon you will find doing it habitually at the end of every command.

Give it a try, I am sure you will find it far less terrible than current situation.

RadialMenuNW.png

A little consideration will show that Solid Edge provided last command continuation with a purpose - so you don't need to restart the command again. Just an individual perspective and perception. Hope you find it useful.

~Tushar Suradkar

fb.pngSolid Edge Users Facebook Group

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
It is my understanding that SE (ordered) intentionally keeps the last command active unless you pick another command, or quit the last command by pressing Esc or Select. This is intended to keep you from having to click more times when you want to continue using the active command. It shouldn't cost you additional clicks, because you can directly click on the next command you want to use.

Synchronous is a little different, and I am not saying that Ordered shouldn't change. Just sharing what I understood to be the reasoning for the way Ordered keeps the last command active.

Jason

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Tsuhar!

The radial menu could be a workaround - if it will response fast and constent in every situation. But this is not the case - another problem..

Anyway, the general problem still exist. I have to pick select after every command to ensure that i can use solid edge without any annoying issues...

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi Jinglis,

sorry, but i have to disagree. You dont have to click more times. It is unusual to create two, three or more extrustion oder cutouts successively. It is more usual to create different features in sequence.

If we could change this behavior you could easily go on with every feature or situation you want - you just have to click on the wanted command or action. Today you have to know, "...when do i have to terminate the command, or not?" 

After some failures you terminate EVERY finished command automaticaly by our own. And this produces many more clicks...

regards, 

Carsten

@Siemens PLM: please change this behavior in one of the next releases (optionally)

PLM World Member Legend PLM World Member Legend
PLM World Member Legend
You are definitely welcome to disagree with the idea. It wasn't my idea, and I wasn't trying to defend it. There are times when I do place several protrusions, cuts, rounds, or holes in a row. There are plenty of times when I don't.

AFAIK, there isn't a setting today that will default back to select after a command completes. You could contact GTAC or your VAR to open an enhancement request for this.

In the mean time, if you can define the failures you mention, GTAC may be able to help get those resolved, and then keeping the last command active might not be quite as frustrating for you.

I hope this helps.
Jason

Phenom
Phenom

I use a lot of keyboard shortcuts, and it's muscle memory for me to just jab the ESC key to cancel the next feature if I have to go into a different command. Easier and faster than mousing up to the cancel button.

-Dylan Gondyke

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor
same for us. The escape key is used so much that the letters ESC are almost gone....