can i move a bend WITHOUT extending the length of the part? (synchronous)

ok so im pretty new to solid edge. im still discovering what it can do.

ill set the scene for you guys!

my boss comes to me with a dxf of a part. i open the dxf in draft, then copy the dxf to my clipboard, then paste the profile into a synchronous sheet metal part. the parts normally have a few bends on them.

he roughly puts a bend line on the dxf for me. he gives me the dimension i need to acheive after bending so i adjust accordingly. 

EG. so sometimes after bending the ID will be .753 i need it to be .75

currently, i apply the bend.

measure the dimension.

if its wrong, ill undo the bend and offsett the bend line to the difference

then re-apply the bend to the correct dimension.

in synchronous i can just select the faces and move the flange without any issues which is great! THANKS SYNCHRONOUS!!!

the problem with that is its making the part smaller/bigger (which sometimes will throw out mounting holes etc etc.)

what i need to know;

is there a way of using synchronous to move the bend line to adjust the height of the bend?

is this possible in synchronous??

9 REPLIES

Re: can i move a bend WITHOUT extending the length of the part? (synchronous)

Phenom
Phenom

You just hit the nail on the head. This is one of the major reasons I don't use Sync for sheet metal. Especially with your work flow (starting from flat).

In general you will be better off using ordered sheet metal. That way you can control the flat pattern, bend locations, and cutout/hole locations all separate inside a single sketch.

ahhh well. thanks for the reply. i think this post was based more in hope than reality. i had a sneaking suspicion i was asking too much Smiley Happy 

maybe a  suggestion for a future update?  bend position control... somehow...

Phenom
Phenom

It can actually be done, but not in a simple way. If you change a bend location, you then have to re-adjust everything around the bend to compensate. An extra design cycle for no reason other than to use Sync.

I go so far as to use an include/co-linear for flat part size and bend locations. In this way, if a part changes gage or size, the rest update correctly. If you want to see specifics of this, go to another thread "12GAGE sheet metal thread" and look at an attached file called TR2.

Valued Contributor
Valued Contributor

Hi

If you could attach a picture or the actual part it would help illustrate your problem a little better.

Thanks

Community Manager Community Manager
Community Manager

So as another member said -- it woudl be clearer if you posted some pics or something. I got the impression you want the length of the blank to stay the same, but want to move the face and have it get shorter and longer. Here is one way to do that in Sync -- see video for result. What I did was:

Dimension the part, including locking relative to origin. Lock all dims.

Set the height dim to be H=9-L (you can double click the dim to get the variable editor)

I am sure there is more to it than this, but this is just an idea, given what I could gather from the text description.

(view in My Videos)

Dan Staples
Director, Solid Edge Product Development

Thankyou for all of your replys. i was looking at the problem as something that synchronous couldnt do.

However, its now clearly the methodology that is different.

THANKS!!!

dan, thats exatcly it!

now ive seen it. its an "of course" moment!!

using the constraints to limit what can and cant be moved is exactly what i need.

thank you sir!

Phenom
Phenom

I will take this one step further.

Lets say I want about what is shown in the movie, but I want the flat pattern size to be consistent while being able to locate the bend relative to another part that changes based on gage and bend radius.

This is where Sync gets complicated. Now one has to start programming bend allowance and deductions to set up the formula right. complex. Another rout would be to set up variable interactions between the flat pattern and the finished part.....potentially convoluted.

This is why I stay in ordered for sheet metal. I'm always looking to make my flat pattern on an even 1" internment when possible. I typically break this rule in favor of a nominal stick out dimension on my folding tables (yet another can of worms)

Legend
Legend
@12GAGE sounds to me like you're drawing in a way that is so you can program it into your folder. I've spent 18 years in a job shop sheetmetal shop, problem is usually lack of programming ability on the machine itself. I don't recall us ever having issues with the RAS folders they had.
-Craig

Phenom
Phenom

You are right. But it's never that simple.

I provide flat patterns designed to be manually programmed into a punch.

I provide bend tables with back gage and stick out so the press operator has a decent starting point.

The operator then has the best possible information to start from. bending is still an art not a science. To many variables to just set and go.

If you go find another thread called 12GAGE sheet metal, you will see an article about what I do and the improvements I'm trying to get into SE.